Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:50 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:58 pm 
Thinking of upgrading my Canon 400D to either a 40D or 5D but not sure what to do. Should I go and get the 40D now or the 5D or wait for the upgrade to the 5D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Roy, depends what it is you're after - how are you finding your 400D restrictive?

Obviously budget will play a big part too - the 5D is still pricey, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wasn't 100% sure it was the model for them with its successor expected within around 6 months.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:25 pm 

Defiant wrote:
Thinking of upgrading my Canon 400D to either a 40D or 5D but not sure what to do. Should I go and get the 40D now or the 5D or wait for the upgrade to the 5D.

Hi Roy,

Firstly, don't get that camera now! Wait until the end of the month when the second Canon Cashback scheme of 2007 is expected to start. These aren't UK prices but as an indication of what to expect check out this post.

5D prices are relatively low and may get lower even without that cashback offer. As I see it your biggest issue is that your EF-S 17-85mm IS USM and EF-S 10-22mm USM won't be compatible. If you want to keep the full frame equivalent fields of view then, ignoring any cashback offers and money from selling the EF-S lenses, I reckon you are going to have to budget between £700 and £1100 on glass. All of a sudden that 40D might be looking to be excellent value. I guess it depends how badly you need the IQ of a 5D.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:11 am 
NIKKON D300 might be pricey but DROOOOLLLLLL.

New year for me...I get one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:16 am 
Canon 40D looks nice
Canon 5D is set to have a replacement soon from what i read on the net.

So .. wait ..
If the replacement of 5D is better then expected and pricing is 'wonderful'
by all means
If not...
Am sure 5D prices will drop and within better reach - after all its a FF ! :!: