Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Camera purchase ?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:57 pm 
Not sure whether to place this in the Canon or Nikon forum, but here goes.

I like the Nikon D80 and the Canon 30D.

I was leaning on the side of the D80, but since the 40D has come out, the 30d is now only a few pounds more than the D80

Both are great cameras, but i'm after a bit of info

I love the wireless flash photography on the Nikon systems, and that is why i'm moving towards Nikon.

i cant find out much info on the wireless flash system on canons, or what is required to carry out wireless photography with a canon.

If i could find a decent trade off with the canon, i think this system would be a better route to folow, since it has CMOS sensor, better handling, faster shutter and magnesium body to name a few.

Can anyone give me some advice please.
Thanks Mike

Post subject: Re: Camera purchase ?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:46 pm 

Trailblazer wrote:
...I cant find out much info on the wireless flash system on canons, or what is required to carry out wireless photography with a Canon...

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the Camera Labs forum.

Wireless flash isn't something I have had personal experience with but my understanding is that the master unit, plugged into the flash hot-shoe can be a Canon ST-E2 Speedlite wireless remote transmitter. Then there is the Speedlite 580EX which can also act as a wireless master to compatible slave units. The Canon Brochure refers.

I am sure there are cheaper options out there with third party manufacturers.

EDIT: Addendum Apparently while a 580EX in the hotshoe can control one other 580EX an ST-E2 can control several flashes. I have also seen a report that some of the cheaper wireless controllers don't work with the 580EX so not going with the ST-E2 may be a false economy.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Last edited by Bob Andersson on Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:39 pm 

With the Nikon D80, just buy a SB-600/SB-800 and set them up as slave. No need for another control-unit just use the onboard flash and make beautiful photos with crossfire from two flash-lights.
See here: http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtop ... ight=sb800
and there: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=sb800&w=38912116%40N00 (link to photos in there)

Post subject: few difference
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:45 am 
Actualy they have the same noise
If you want to split hairs, the Canons have lower resolution than the Nikon D80, and that's how they're rated (8 vs. 10 MP). The Nikon D70 has the lowest resolution of these DSLRs, and is rated only 6MP. As you can see MP makes a difference, but not that much. That's the MegaPixel Myth.