Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:50 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:20 pm 

Hi, I'm going to buy my first DSLR camera. And I need a bit of help.
For years I have been using a film SLR camera Olympus OM10. It's been a fantastic camera, I love it. I've always tried to get the perfect shot first time; it certainly saves on all the wasted film (and money!). Then 2 years ago I got given a compact digital a Pentax Optio M20, so many buttons, so many modes etc etc. I thought digital photography was mean't to be easy. But now with so many options it all seemed a bit more complicated. And my love for photography dwindled.
But I'm over that now. I want a decent mid-range camera as I'm not really a beginner anymore, more of an advanced enthusiastic photographer without the big budget.
I would like:
A flip-out, live view screen,
10 mega pixels +
Not really interested in action shots, more into portraiture, urban landscapes, indoor photography.
Good flash options.
Stablising function.
So I'm looking at the Sony Alpha A350 (for the tilting screen), the Olympus E510 (cause I liked the OM10), or maybe Nikon D200 (an overall good camera?).
I would be very grateful for any advice from users of these camera's or perhaps there is a more suitable one that has escaped me!
Many thanks.

Last edited by amy on Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:25 pm 
The main selling point of the A350 is the tilting screen. It's also a very good camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:22 pm 

The A350 fits the requirements list fully, with a live view implementation that isn't slow or clunky. The tilting screen is a nice extra and does come in handy, although it tilts in the up/down direction only.

Although not a SLR but close, there is the Panasonic G1 that might be considered. It does have changeable lenses, but as a new system there are not many to choose from yet. It also has a tiltable screen in more orientations and a fast live view system.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:37 pm 

Hi Amy,

May I wish you a warm welcome to the CameraLabs forum.

The limited AF and metering functionality of using your existing OM System lenses on a four-thirds Olympus DSLR courtesy of the Olympus OM Adapter MF-1 probably means that the E-510 isn't an automatic choice for you. But if you still have some OM lenses you might want to consider the option of using them, especially at the telephoto end where the extra 2x magnification of the 4/3rds sensor could be of value.

Given that I detect you have a long term commitment to photography then, provided you feel comfortable with your short-listed cameras "in hand", may I suggest that you look at the associated lens systems as that is really what you are buying into in the long term. You'll almost certainly upgrade the camera body over the years while the lenses you choose are likely to be with you for much longer.

Good luck.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:13 am 

Thank you for all your quick replies.
Can I throw something else into the mix please?
This may sound really stupid but as I have little knowledge of DSLR camera's, I have to ask it anyway..
I love B/W photography and with my Olympus OM10 and a roll of Ilford film I was very happy indeed. With the compact Pentax I can convert the images to B/W afterwards (which I don't find that satisfying, it's not the same!). Also I can convert/edit my images with iPhoto as I store all my photo's on my MacBook. But what I want to know is can a DSLR shoot in B/W initially without having to convert/edit afterwards?
Ultimately, would I just be best sticking to a film camera for my B/W photography? Having shot B/W film for years (and using the dark room) can I be bothered getting started with Photoshop, Aperture 2 etc etc?
Thank you once again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:20 am 

Most should have a B/W shooting option, and if you like B/W you might like turning the ISO up and shooting B/W to get a little grain ;)

For the D200, it is a very nice camera, but I would recommend the D90 over it for a handful of very nice nice features, like ADR and a better monitor. There is not a tilt on either of these cameras, and I personally find that a neat, but useless feature. Your preferences are not mine, so I assume you have a good reason for wanting it.

55-200mm VR
ML-L3 Wireless release
SB600

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:30 am 

Says the Nikon D90 user.

www.flickr.com/glxlr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:44 am 
GLXLR wrote:
Says the Nikon D90 user.

You say it like that's a bad thing. I think we can all recommend all we want, but the decision is still up to the poster in the end. D90 is not a bad camera and like he said, is better than D200 in respect to some of the newer features. :)

As for B/W modes, yes, most cameras have that. I find that shooting in color and then converting them to B/W gives me a little more freedom, though. But that's just me and everyone has their own preference! I can see why you'd want to shoot in B/W and I suppose the camera manufacturers do too, because they put the feature into the cameras. :wink:

As far as DSLRs go, especially some of the more advanced ones, I don't think you'll see a lot of those unnecessary scene modes, just the basic ones. Things like video recording and Live View are still new to the DSLR market, it's funny to see a lot of people upgrading from compacts, expecting their Nikon D40 to shoot video... :lol: It seems like this a change you won't mind though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:21 am 

Burun wrote:
GLXLR wrote:
Says the Nikon D90 user.

Things like video recording and Live View are still new to the DSLR market, it's funny to see a lot of people upgrading from compacts, expecting their Nikon D40 to shoot video... :lol: It seems like this a change you won't mind though!

Better yet, when compacts users try to bash on DSLRs with less than 10MP...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:32 am 
Shagrath wrote:
Better yet, when compacts users try to bash on DSLRs with less than 10MP...
I know. That entry-level D40 of yours with 6MP can take better shots that a compact with 12MP. :D
More MP + inferior noise handling on compacts = big & ugly pictures. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:57 pm 

Thank you for all your help. I feel more confident in making a suitable decision.
I love the idea of a tilting screen so I can practice low angled shots and no I wont miss any video feature.
I take on board the good advice on lenses. I have only one lens at present (the rest were on loan) so perhaps it's time to get another.
What I don't like about some of the mid-range cameras are simple things like function dialling and the use of 'joysticks' instead of buttons. I think I ruled out a Canon for that reason only.
When I get down the shop to try and buy (I think the Sony Alpha A350) the feel and touch of the camera should finally seal the deal for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:53 pm 

I hope you know that was meant as a joke...

www.flickr.com/glxlr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:27 am 

GLXLR wrote:

I'm sure he took it with a grain of salt, I did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:21 pm 
amy wrote:
Thank you for all your help. I feel more confident in making a suitable decision.
I love the idea of a tilting screen so I can practice low angled shots and no I wont miss any video feature.
I take on board the good advice on lenses. I have only one lens at present (the rest were on loan) so perhaps it's time to get another.
What I don't like about some of the mid-range cameras are simple things like function dialling and the use of 'joysticks' instead of buttons. I think I ruled out a Canon for that reason only.
When I get down the shop to try and buy (I think the Sony Alpha A350) the feel and touch of the camera should finally seal the deal for me.

It sounds like the Alpha A350 is the camera for you, I'm glad we helped you find the camera that was right for you! :D As for the dials and joysticks, I actually find them to work a lot better than buttons. It's a lot easier to slide the wheel than to press the button a bunch of times.

Shagrath wrote:
GLXLR wrote:
I'm sure he took it with a grain of salt, I did.

Nah, I didn't think you were serious and I did take it with a grain of salt... :) My appologies if I didn't come off that way the first time.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:50 am 

Thank you all. Just for the record :) I bought a Canon 40D and have been very happy with that. Now I want to upgrade and am seeking more advice :) I have heard the Canon 5D mk 11 was an excellent camera but seems not available to buy new anymore as a few years old. I am looking to buy perhaps, a Canon full frame camera-looking to upgrade to a pro camera maybe. Not sure of prices and what's new or about to be launched so all advice appreciated. I am also thinking of purchasing a new lens or two. Here is what I have already: Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 24-135mm f/1.2.8-4.5, Sigma EX 10-20mm f/1.4-5.6 DC HSM. Thinking of getting a EF 17-40mm f/4L and EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM and also a good every day lens to replace the Sigma 24-135mm so need to fit lenses with appropriate body. Many thanks.