Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:52 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:05 pm 

No camera's perfect, what is? My Nikon D80 is a beautifully designed camera in almost every way but.....................

1. Rubber hatches. Every time I close the rubber USB cover I expect it to be the last time I close it.

2. IR remote sensor not reliably operable from behind the camera. Surely Nikon realize that the type of people who buy a D80 are not the type to sit the camera on a car roof, run fifteen feet away, turn and shout Edam at the camera. Maybe we want it to reduce shake when mounted on a tripod for landscapes.

3. That IR remote again. Why on earth make it so small and not allow for it to be mounted on a lanyard. I haven't lost mine yet but it's on the cards, mark my words.

4. The supplied neckstrap. Absolute rubbish. It could double as one of those exfoliators ladies use in the bathroom.

5. The biggest cock-up of them all. Nikon very thoughtfully provide an option to have a grid overlay, at the touch of a button. However someone, in their infinite wisdom, chose to make this grid 4 x 4! Unbelievable. As if the rule of thirds is a new concept to them. An opportunity missed I feel.

That's all I can think of for now. It should tell you something about the camera though when I tell you all I'd buy exactly the same model again. No question.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:14 pm 
I agree about the rubber hatch. They could of just replicated the SD Card door for it, that would of been fine :) Or mabey just have the USB not behind the door since it's most commonly used.

Haven't used the IR sensor, but I still don't get what is wrong with a 2 second self times to reduce shake?

I haven't really tried other stock straps, but it would be nice to have some padding in the middle lol. I don't really find it that bad though as I usually don't let the camera hang around my neck as I find it a pain in the ass walking around with it bouncing off me lol. I usually just wear if for safety ;)

I don't really think I actually have any complaints to make about the D80 :)

Post subject: Canon EOS 400D/Rebel XTi
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:49 pm 

Shock horror: the EOS 400D isn't perfect either :!:
    It has a rubber hatch

It has a 0 x 0 gid overlay - i.e. no grid at all

In fully auto mode if it thinks a spot of back lighting is required when I press the shutter release the flash pops up and I miss the shot which is really stupid. Program AE mode solves this.

Feature bloat. They say that 90% of word-processor users only use 10% of the functions. Maybe not quite that bad with DSLRs but the firmware guys are working on it!

Sorry to hear about the Nikon neck strap. Get a Canon one - you know it makes sense. :twisted:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:54 pm 
I use the strap cause I think the Nikon Straps look pro :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:00 pm 

antman wrote:
I use the strap cause I think the Nikon Straps look pro :)

Be sure to tell that to the police when some half-wit nicks your pride & joy, lol.

I already changed it for an Op/Tech strap. I highly recommend them to anyone. Very comfortable and only £16-ish.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:32 pm 
I've never had anything stolen. I'm very obsessive about my expensive things lol :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:05 am 
you know what camera recommend

PENTAX K10d

it has front and rear remote sensors
and it has some hefty hatches rather than those flimsy rubber hatches
well there is one on the bottom but once i get my battery grip
that rubber hatch is so gone forever :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:27 am 
Maybe we could start talking about things on the D80 that are BETTER than the K10D then ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:37 am 
no no no no , i like to think i have the greatest camera in the world

dont destroy my dream < NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:01 am 

This is going off-topic very fast :twisted:
You should concentrate on the topic-title: "Things I hate about my camera" :idea:
So Drill-lights might say: "I hate it for not beeing a Nikon D80". But he should come to this conclusion all by himself :wink:
On a more serious note:
- The D80 is dumb for switching multipoint AF off in P-, S-, A-, M-mode (or am I dumb for not finding the button to switch it on again? Help!)

Last edited by Thomas on Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:52 am 
zorro wrote:
1. Rubber hatches. Every time I close the rubber USB cover I expect it to be the last time I close it.

Very true. I've been looking for an SD card reader for exactly this reason. It's frustrating when you have to spend money on things like this when you really don't want to, rather than using it towards more important things like lenses/other gear.

zorro wrote:
3. That IR remote again. Why on earth make it so small and not allow for it to be mounted on a lanyard. I haven't lost mine yet but it's on the cards, mark my words.

It's funny you should mention this. I was talking to a friend who's recently just bought a D80 and he said that he's already lost his IR remote. (ok, that's not funny...)

zorro wrote:
4. The supplied neckstrap. Absolute rubbish. It could double as one of those exfoliators ladies use in the bathroom.

I disagree! You have no idea how many times I've been walking down the street with my camera when a worried and flustered builder has walked up to me in a panic asking if I happen to have any spare sand paper on me. The relief on his face when I was able to loan him my nikon...

As a result, there's now a very swanky, nikon-strap kitted out builders yard just down the road. As luck would have it, these straps never wear out....EVER! [/sarcasm]

tombomba2 wrote:
- The D80 is dumb for switching multipoint AF off in P-, S-, A-, M-mode (or am I dumb for not finding the button to swithc it on again? Help!)

Do you mean you want the same AF settings that the camera selects as default when you're in full auto mode? If so, take a look at page 30 in the manual. I haven't tried it myself but it looks like you can manually set the AF-area mode to "Auto-area AF"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:13 am 
TelexStar wrote:
zorro wrote:

Very true. I've been looking for an SD card reader for exactly this reason. It's frustrating when you have to spend money on things like this when you really don't want to, rather than using it towards more important things like lenses/other gear.

There is at least one good reason I know, to have a card reader rather than connecting your costly DSLR directly to the PC through USB. This USB Port carries a +5V supply and in "extreme circustances" the voltage level increases to > 50V. I don't know how far this is true but certainly I don't want to risk my D80.

nmp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:31 pm 
So many D80 owners.... :shock:

The things I hate about the Dynax 5D is:
* low speed USB connectivity
* low res. display (though very large)
* not weather sealed
* new Sony lenses are more expensive
* too few buttons/knobs/dials and too many menus (being computer scientist specialized in usability this is somewhat the biggest dream to have in a dSLR - full manual control, the fastest way to interact with electronic devices :) )
(* not a D80/400D/E-510/K10D/A100)

But who cares, you can't buy this camera anymore and I guess I'm the only one active in this forum who has this camera?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:40 pm 

myself wrote:
The D80 is dumb for switching multipoint AF off in P-, S-, A-, M-mode (or am I dumb for not finding the button to switch it on again? Help!)

Thank you, TelexStar! Not on p.30, but on p.87 my prob was solved.
As the saying goes: "The greatest problem sits in front of the computer..."
So now I can brag: My D80 is perfect! Well, almost...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:45 pm 

antman from Auckland wrote:
I've never had anything stolen

Well, well: You're living in paradise. There are not that many countries on earth like New Zealand :roll:

Last edited by Thomas on Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.