Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:11 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:25 am 

Well, considering the kit costs a fair bit of money I want to get it right!

I'm set on getting a Canon EOS 400D - so thats not gonna change unless the D80 can magically come down to under £389! I do however need help on choosing lenses!

The price of the lenses is huge, and personally I don't have the money just now to buy 2 or 3 of the £160+ lenses, and I'm already selling my MacBook and my Xbox 360 just to scrape up the money for the camera its self, and doing a few web design jobs here and there for bits of money (since people thing £200 for a design is to much, its not the 90's anymore where a WYSIWYG drag and drop editor will do!) and also what money I get from the mother from passing exams this year (results on tuesday!!!) so probably not much.

I've got about £220 from the MacBook, and probably around the £180-£220 mark for the 360 Premium + controller + 3 games in mint condition. £150 for every A £100 for every B and £50 for every C I get, and I know I've got an A in Computing (there is no way i'll get anything less) so thats another £150 onto my budget.

£650 is my total budget, which includes Camera, Lenses, Tripod, Bag, Filters, and what ever else I need.

If anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated, since I need the stuff soon to photograph my cousin who is playing in his band at the Edinburgh Festival, besides the whole thing being a great photographic experience, I really wanted to do his gig, just to get a feel of what photographing them was like. (since I would love to be a photographer at T in the Park 09! - not 08 since I've already bought my camping ticket!)

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:12 am 
Site Admin

Hi DD_nVidia, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

(are you into graphics chipsets by any chance?!)

Since you're looking at about 450 quid for the 400D body only, that doesn't leave much flexibility for more than one les plus the other parts you're after.

You could just about do the 400D plus a Sigma 18-200mm though:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sigma18200mm/

If you definitely want a better (or an additional) lens from day-one, you're gonna have to get creative and maybe consider a different body.

The Nikon D40 is a good option, as is the Canon 350D - both are cheaper than the 400D so will allow you to spend more on lenses and accessories.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/NikonD40/

I'd also look at the Olympus E-410 - the twin lens kit is within your budget and is a lovely camera - probably one of the few options for getting a 10 Mpixel DSLR and a focal range of 18-200mm at less than £600...

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/OlympusE410/

The E-510 is also worth considering...

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/OlympusE510/

Gordon

PS - good luck with your exam results!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:01 pm 

Indeed - I had looked at both the 350D and the Nikon D40 (and D40x) but since Canon had the £50 cashback offer on the body only, effectivly making it £389. I thought it might just be worth getting the 400D, and making it last me a while.

As for lenses, I suppose its not much to spend on descent quality ones, I didn't realise they were so expensive up until 2 weeks ago!

I was considering buying 1 or 2 off ebay for under £100, since I've seen a few descent ones go for that price, the only thing is buying them of ebay isn't the safest way to get them, although i'd only buy them of people with good feedback and plenty sales, even more so if the sales were to do with photography.

Canon EOS 400D = £390 - leaving me £260 to spend, although I will contiue saving, to try and get as much money as possible to spend.

I'm also just finished a site for a local client, getting £150 for that soon, so that can bump my budget to around the £750-800max mark. (jesus £800 lol, this is almost getting to the price if my computer!)

I was planning to work for the next 2 weeks in my uncles computer shop, but have given that up to do some photography stuff with a gay at the local internet café, although I'm sure its more of a community center now, they have music stuff, video editing etc there so, basically he has an EOS 30D and a bunch of lenses; the point being so I can pick up the basics as it were, before I even use my own camera - along with it being a good experience.

Thanks for the advice Gordon, and i'll take a good look at the Olympus cameras aswell, although I did want to try and stick within Nikon or Canon!

- btw, Gordon, just a quick question off-topic - how is it that people get to photograph festivals like T in the Park? I was hypnotized by the cameras they had, and some of the crazy telephoto lenses, I shouted to one (being at the front barrier) to try and get a look and/or a shot of one, but they all had ear plugs in >_<

MY FLICKR!

Post subject: Don't Panic
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:02 pm 

Hi Daniel,

With the EOS 400D £50 cashback offer expiring at the end of this month the pressure is on!

You can pick up a Canon EOS 400D + Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM lens in the UK for just under £800 (£750 with cashback). Have a look at this Google search and pick your retailer of choice. Gordon has reviewed and "video toured"the EF-S 17-85mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM here. The review raises a few issues you need to consider.

Another possibility is the Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-f/5.6 IS USM. Gordon hasn't, to my knowledge, reviewed this lens but The-Digital-Picture.com has a pretty positive review of this lens here. However, unless you are really sure that you won't miss the lack of wide-angle capability it might be wise to buy the 400D with the EF-S 18-55mm kit lens. Best UK price I can see for these from retailers with stock is £469 for the camera plus kit lens and £294 for the 28-135mm lens so you should come in at around £720. That leaves a little money in the budget for a few extras.

I am sure your friend with the 30D will be a good source of advice. Now, if you have been following my thread at First sightings of the EOS 40D? you will know that rumours are rife at the moment about a product announcement from Canon around August 20th of the successor to the 30D. The timing is tight but if you can persuade your friend that he really must have the 40D could you also persuade him to sell you his 30D for less than the price of a 400D?

If he doesn't like the look of the 40D when (if) it is announced you still have time to qualify for that 400D casbback. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:45 pm 

hehe, well I don't think he is going to see his 30D, but i will ask him on Wednesday :P

I'll have a look on eBay for prices on those lenses later on today.

As for IS, I'd say i have a pretty steady hand, but for any photos where I'd have to zoom in a lot or use longer shutter speeds, I'd probably use a tripod or monopod in that case, so its not a big deal for me.

I wanted one that would give me from ok wide angle to descent telephoto capabilities, and another that I could use for macro photography.

Excuse me if i sound completely stupid, but the whole lens thing is about the last thing I need to understand I think lol.

I know macro is where an image is produced where the subject is on a scale of 1:1 (life size) or greater (bigger that life size) but how do you know if a lens can do macro photography? I've seen things like filters that claim to be like 58mm (the filter size) macro lens, and its just like a screw on filter...and then again, some lenses say macro, or have a little switch to toggle between normal and macro, then some say you need to be at least 0.5m away to focus properly, which is a bit far away for macro photography isn't it?

(I have no idea if what I said made sense but I tried lol)

Thanks for the advice so far,

MY FLICKR!

Post subject: Lenses
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:45 pm 

Hi Daniel,

My 30D suggestion was a bit tongue in cheek because even if he is willing to sell it on it may be that the 400D is the more appropriate camera.

Sounds like Gordon's suggestion of the Sigma 18-200mm fits your "wide angle to decent telephoto capabilities" without "image stabilisation" criteria very well.

Have you considered the Tamron AF 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical [IF] reviewed by PhotoZone.de here?

If it isn't muddying the waters too much, instead of buying a lens with a dedicated macro capability you can use an extension tube. For example, without an extension tube the Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM I suggested before focusses down to 0.35m and has a modest magnification of 0.2. Add Extension Tube EF25 II to it and you can get a magnification of up to 0.72.

At £85 the EF25 II might be a bit of a budget buster (EF12 II is £49) but this technique isn't, of course, restricted to Canon lenses though it may not be universally applicable. The upside may be that you get a better "normal" lens for your budget but the downside is that optically you may get worse macro performance than with a dedicated macro lens.

Finally (hooray think some!), I am sure you have had a look at the Flowers and macro (close-up) photography forum where those more knowledgeable than I have discussed macro lenses.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:52 pm 
I'm stepping in, just to remind that Nikon is offering a GBP 60 / EUR 90 rebate on both the D40 and the D40X. :wink:

That would give you some room to get a lens such as the AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED. There's a review of this lens here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:47 pm 

D40/D40x isn't to good since i'll be using full manual controls most of the time, and the 400D gives quick access, rather than going through a menu to get to something you will probably need to change really quickly.

I could buy the D40x, but really, I dunno i'll see.

The results will come through my door in around 9 - 10 hours time, depending on when the postie comes! One of my mates got A A A B B - lol, considering I dropped maths half way, tis not looking good atm!!! So we will see shortly if I have the support of the mother financially :P

I was also considering a D70, but heh its a funny world 8)

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:25 am 
Site Admin

Hi Daniel, to shoot at an event as a 'pro', you need press credentials, but that can be as easy as getting a commission from any paper or magazine - maybe offer to photograph an event for a small local paper for free. Then with a commission you can approach the press office for the event in question and ask them for a photographer's pass.

This will need to be done in advance and also prepare yourself for them to say 'the daily wotsit? why would we let you guys in?'

Student papers are generally good bets as they're into music, so it's relevant...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:12 pm 

Hi Daniel, now how's your budget?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:43 pm 

Not good!!!!

I actually bombed on the results!

Computing - B (appeal should make it an A)
Business - D (appeal might make it a C)
English - Fail (appeal might make it a D)
Physics - Fail (lol no appeal on this, i just messed up)

I only failed English on the writing paper, since the questions I had to answer on, I didn't have material to suit it, even though I had a Novel, a Drama, a Short Story and a Poem, one of each, but I could only get the Drama one to fit, none of the other questions suited my other 3, so i failed on that.

Physics - was never any good at it really, missed quite a bit last year because I was off for 3 weeks with the flu at one point, and even missing 3 days is bad enough at higher.

Also, the guy who was gonna buy my MacBook dropped out, plus I've still not found anyone to buy my 360 - meaning a basically have nothing atm! I'm hoping to get some money, some way or another, maybe not as quick as I would like, but I'll get it somehow.

- oh Gordon I got the mag, :P - chat bout it in the general chat bit of the forums.

MY FLICKR!

Post subject: Commiserations
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:51 pm 

Hi Daniel,

Bad luck with the results. Hope you have some success with the appeals.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:47 am 
Site Admin

Hi Daniel, sorry to hear about the results...