Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:32 am
Posts: 11
hi there,

currently confused with all the review things about the DSLR and i thought i might got a brilliant answer with awesome fellows here. honestly, I'm a beginner to dslr, totally into street photography, potrait, travel and landscape. i do a lil bit of video too, but not that much compared to pics. I've been using compact and phone cameras until 2 years ago, when i fell in love with dslr. i've used nikon D5100, D90, and also canon 550D and 60D as well. but all of them are borrowed from friends of course. Now, i thought that i should own one myself, but the problem is which one?

I have an interest with D7000 and 60D but i can't really choose one. then my friends are telling me its better to go with d5100 or 550d with more spending on the lens. My budget is around 1250usd+- I want to reduce the budget as low as possible but wouldn't mind saving a lil bit more for great value. do anyone here have any suggestions on which dslr and if possible, some lens suggestions to go with the camera? or should i just go with the kit lens for starting?

Thanks a lot in advance. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:10 am
Posts: 19
First thing you should do is go to a store and hold each camera in your hands. All of the cameras you named are capable of taking great photos. You might find you prefer a particular brand (I found Canon uncomfortable compared to Nikon/Sony/Pentax). If the camera isn't comfortable in your hands you'll be less likely to pick it up and use it, and considering the amount of money you're looking to spend that should be your top priority.

Factor in any other items you plan on buying - bag, filters, memory cards, tripod, etc - to your budget.

Then consider lenses. Technically the kit lens for any of these cameras will do what you need it to. If you want sharper pictures you'll probably have to buy more lenses. Example: when I made my purchase, I knew I wanted a prime lens for taking pictures of my daughter around the house (f2 or wider) and potentially a telephoto zoom.

So what does this all mean?

If you bought the D7000 w/kit lens it would basically eat up all your budget. No accessories, no lenses.

If you bought the 60D w/kit lens you would have about $200 left over.

Buying a Canon Txi or a Nikon D5100 would leave you with more available budget.

_________________
Nikon D3100
Nikkor 18-55mm VR, 55-200mm VR, 35mm f/1.8
iPhone 5 for snapshots


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:29 am
Posts: 733
Even though you only do "a lil bit of video", I would recommend you at least look at the T4i, especially since the 18-135mm STM kit is well within your budget. It would even leave room for a 35mm f2.0 or 85mm f1.8 prime.

Full disclosure: I own all of the aforementioned equipment - Mark


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:32 am
Posts: 11
Thanks for the reply.

JVegas wrote:
First thing you should do is go to a store and hold each camera in your hands. All of the cameras you named are capable of taking great photos. You might find you prefer a particular brand (I found Canon uncomfortable compared to Nikon/Sony/Pentax). If the camera isn't comfortable in your hands you'll be less likely to pick it up and use it, and considering the amount of money you're looking to spend that should be your top priority.

Factor in any other items you plan on buying - bag, filters, memory cards, tripod, etc - to your budget.

Then consider lenses. Technically the kit lens for any of these cameras will do what you need it to. If you want sharper pictures you'll probably have to buy more lenses. Example: when I made my purchase, I knew I wanted a prime lens for taking pictures of my daughter around the house (f2 or wider) and potentially a telephoto zoom.

So what does this all mean?

If you bought the D7000 w/kit lens it would basically eat up all your budget. No accessories, no lenses.

If you bought the 60D w/kit lens you would have about $200 left over.

Buying a Canon Txi or a Nikon D5100 would leave you with more available budget.


Yeah, i've been walking in and out from some store couple of weeks ago. i kinda lean towards the nikon if brand preferences is taken into priority. and i might potentially be taking 50mm 1.8G with me as well. but it kinda a lil bit out of my budget. or should i save some more. :?

considering the cost, i might be taking 60D with 50mm or D5100 with some lens. but i can't really take my eyes off from D7000 after seeing all those reviews. now i'm wondering, should i wait and save a lil bit more and take D7000 or get a less pricey one with some pretty lens. :?:

Maestro wrote:
Even though you only do "a lil bit of video", I would recommend you at least look at the T4i, especially since the 18-135mm STM kit is well within your budget. It would even leave room for a 35mm f2.0 or 85mm f1.8 prime.

Full disclosure: I own all of the aforementioned equipment - Mark


yeah, T4i, is one of the option too(given that i if i choose to remove the more pricey D7000 and 60D from the list). what would you think between t4i and D5100? in terms of IQ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:10 am
Posts: 19
With your budget and the lenses you're considering, as well as the fact that this is your first DSLR purchase (mine as well recently), it sounds like you could be far better served with a D5100 or T4i at this point. Yes, there are some advantages to the D7000 and 60D, and I personally wanted a D7000 as my first DSLR - but I went with the D3100 due to budget, lens needs, and the fact that this is my first DSLR and I don't need to go all out right away. If I had an extra $150 I would have gone with the D5100 instead.

Here's what's great about starting with a more entry-level camera: you spend more money up front on things you're going to use for a long time. Lenses and gear outlast camera bodies. You'll have the equipment to take fantastic pictures either way.

Taking a quick glance at prices, the D5100 is $600 and the T4i is $650 (both w/kit lens, 18-55mm). You would have plenty of budget left over to get other gear and a lens or two, along with a great first DSLR.

_________________
Nikon D3100
Nikkor 18-55mm VR, 55-200mm VR, 35mm f/1.8
iPhone 5 for snapshots


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:29 am
Posts: 733
checardio72 wrote:
yeah, T4i, is one of the option too(given that i if i choose to remove the more pricey D7000 and 60D from the list). what would you think between t4i and D5100? in terms of IQ?

So first off, I think it's a mistake to stretch your budget for a camera body, as opposed to a lens. So I would definitely take the D7000 out of consideration.

That said, between the T4i and D5100, I think you should base your decision on other factors (e.g. video, handling, lens selection, etc.) than IQ, especially since a lens can have a much more significant impact on IQ than the camera body (which gets back to my point above). But if I'm forced to answer, with the same lens, I think the T4i will have a slight IQ advantage over the D5100.

Mark


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:07 am
Posts: 13
Not sure if you would consider used equipment, but that would certainly allow you to stretch your budget a bit. I agree that saving more money for the lenses is a good way to go, but make sure the body you are buying is at least an entry level pro body with all of the manual controls you require.

My buddy just bought the D7000 with a 18-105 used for about $800. He then picked up the 35mm 1.8 prime used for another $120.

I own the D90 and see them on sale used for as low as $450. It's a great camera and would leave you with money for lenses. I also love the 1.8 35mm. It's the best thing for the money.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:56 am
Posts: 96
Canon is releasing the new Rebel T5i for less than the current T4i. Since the T3i is still selling, you'd be best to wait until April; Read this link:
http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32375&#p267762
I love the Canon Rebel T4i to death. If you get it with the right kit lens, it's quite affordable.

_________________
-=- PalaDolphin
http://www.PalaDolphin.com
My equipment are:
Canon Rebel T4i / EOS 650D
lens: EF-S 18-135mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS STM
lens: EF-S 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS II
lens: Tamron SP 60mm F/2 Di II 1:1 Macro
Canon Speedlite 380EX flash
Canon PowerShot G12
Canon AE-1 Programmable w/55mm, 200mm, & 24mm lenses
bag: Lowepro® SlingShot 202AW


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All words, images, videos and layout, copyright 2005-2012 Gordon Laing. May not be used without permission.
/ How we test / Best Cameras / Advertising / Camera reviews / Supporting Camera Labs

Webdesign by Alphabase IT
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group