Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:48 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:54 pm 
ok guys so im going to buy a canon G9 but i dont know what card to get. im going to be shooting in raw and jpeg at the same time so i want something with 4G or 8G. but i also want speed and something that is going to hold my HQ images and not ruin them.

ive been told extreems are good. what about SDHC?

id also like it to be interchangeable with a 40D or a 50D (the next item on my list)... or is this a bad idea?

also any suggestions on what card i should get for my prospective 40D/50D? i want it to be up to speed with the 6 frames per sec and holding alot aswell.

let me know your thoughts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:08 am 
Site Admin

If you're going for a card that's bigger than 2GB, it should be SDHC.

The Sandisk Extreme cards are good.

Unfortunately the 40D and 50D both take Compact Flash memory cards which are different to SD / SDHC, so you won't be able to share memory between them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:14 pm 
what about extreem III SDHC card? are they good?

ive been searching around and alot of people recomend getting a few 2G instead. why is that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:27 am 

thereza333 wrote:
what about extreem III SDHC card? are they good?

ive been searching around and alot of people recomend getting a few 2G instead. why is that?

you get a few smaller because if you're out shooting and a card breaks, you have back ups, and a lot of people shoot one day on one card then another day on the other, then go back to the first, just incase, so you have some of the days.

I doubt you'd ever have Sandisk's break though

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:56 am 
Site Admin

It's not just for if they break - it's also if you loose a card or have it nicked. If you have one big card, you run the risk of losing everything, whereas if you keep a number of smaller cards seperate, then you may at least have some safe. Of course having more cards might make it easier to lose them - depends what kind of person you are!

I'm going to move this thread to our storage section as it's more relevant there - you should also have a browse through the other threads here as there's lots of advice on card types...

cheers!

Gordon