Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 32GB
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:52 pm 
hello guys
I recently got myself a sony A700 and am looking to get a memorycard to suit.

The camera takes Compact Flash so I had a quick look on ebay and saw a rather impressive 32gb Compact Flash Card feat Samsung IC Chip for just £70!

The only thing that concerns me is that in the auction listing it states

"**** Attn customers: Please make sure your camera support 32GB capacity, some camera may require firmware upgrade to support 32GB capacity *****"

I have upgraded my A700 to the latest firmware release (3) but just would like to know if the camera should accept the card or not? I dont want to buy it on the off chance because the seller says n refunds for incompatability issues.

This might be a stupid question because the auction also says " fits Sony DSLR A700 +" but im just checking..it may well fit, as in it goes in the slot, but whos to say it functions?

better safe than sorry eh
thanks guys

Liam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:47 pm 

I wouldn't buy that:
1. Sandisk and Kingston are just starting to deliver their 16GB CF cards.
2. I'd not trust such an amount of images to a dubious source.
Get a 16GB Sandisk III and be happy and safe with it, not sorry 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:54 pm 
Same advice from me. 32 Gb cards were just announced, and 70£ is suspectingly cheap. There's a great chance that the saler is a fraud, or is trying to sell deficient hardware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:11 pm 
Just remember if you have 2x 16gb card and one card dies, thats only half your photos. If you have a 32gb one, thats ALL your photos.

I wouldn't recommend you buy from eBay anyway- especially not an unnamed brand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:08 am 
In addition to what all the others have said, there's also the matter of cost. The bang for buck ratio drops drastically as you approach the larger capacities so unless you really need all those photos on one card, find the sweet spot(capacity/price) and buy multiple cards! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:27 am 
I find that 4g cards are enough. I get around 200 images shooting RAW with the D300 or D2xs, and I have different cards for each camera, but I always take my laptop when possible

In days before digital and medium format cameras where the top of the range, on a Hasselblad you got 12 frames per roll, or a 645 back and you got 16...... Mamiya 6x7 10 frames or a Mamiya 645 camera with a 220 back 30 frames, now this was a blessing but stock was not always easy to get in 220 rolls, so you made every shot count, but as stock was chargeable per roll, bracket was the only way to shoot...... and you had 2 mags....

so my point being 200 images per card is more than enough for this shooter, but I have been known to fill 2 4g cards, as you have got to like a power drive, and can fill a card very quickly and do