Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Will it handle 6 FPS?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:44 am 
Will the Lexar Platinum II 2GB CF card be able to handle my upcoming D300(6fps?)

http://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Compact- ... 817&sr=8-7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:41 am 
Not sure how fast the writes peed of the card is but if you take the average image size in mb (JPEG or RAW, depending on what you use) multiplied by 6, that should give you the the size of the files that the D300 is producing every second at 6fps. If the card's minimum write-speed in mb/s is more than the the number generated above, then the card should be ok.

So if

[Image Size(mb) x 6(fps)] < or = Write speed(mb/s)

you should be fine.

The D300's ability to write to the card could still be a bottleneck though. You can't fix that with a faster card so no point worrying about that, D300 should be fine anyway. Hope that made sense! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:44 am 
yes it will work, but at worse, your buffer will fill up and slow down the write speed to the card, reducing the fps rate....... have a look at Scandisk http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Catalog(1002)-High_Performance_Photo_and_Video.aspx

and check the write speed of the camera and get a card to match or be faster

I use Sandisk Extreme Ducati Line in my D 300 with no problems........ and I am always shooting hi speed bursts, when shooting wild life

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:56 am 

Even a SanDisk Extreme IV at 40GB/sec does not prevent that the D300 slows down after buffer-full! At least in my configuration shooting RAW lossless compressed plus jpeg normal at 20 MB per image. You can see it transfer at 1 fps to mem after the buffer is full. So obviously the total transfer-speed of cpu + data-lanes is at 20MB/sec. But I can only speculate whether a 20MB/sec card will not result in even slower overall transfer.
At JPG-normal with size priority you can shoot a full 100 pics sequence without ever slowing down. But that is due to the large buffer. The transfer rate from buffer to card even with these 3MB images is still not faster than 2 fps. This is a clear indicator that it's not the card-speed that is holding the D300 back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:27 am 
Thomas ..... try the Sandisk Ducati range of cards..... I do bursts of 10-15 frames at a time with no slowing down of the D300 at all......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:35 am 

What are you shooting BP?
That influences dramatically what fits in the buffer...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:43 am 
Thomas wrote:
What are you shooting BP?
That influences dramatically what fits in the buffer...

....... various Birds in flight, with very different backgrounds, from trees to sky to ocean....... just remembered, {seniors moment}, I am also shooting at 12 bit to get more speed, so this would make a difference with the D300 write speed, even with hi speed bursts..... :oops: :wink:

EDIT: I always shoot in RAW....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:46 am 

Well, yes, I also have no prob with 10-15 frames bursts.
But where the speed of the card comes in (at least supposedly) is after the buffer is full and the camera has to write out to the card...
So not burst in the challenge for the card-tranfer-rates but continuous shooting after buffer full.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:59 am 
....... just had a look at page 402 of the manual and it looks as if I need to shoot a few more frames before the buffer is full.......

I will shot some birds over the next few days to see how the Ducati card holds up to the write speed.......

........ I will be back :wink: