Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:12 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:10 pm 
I use to use raid but on my new PC I opted out because I do not really need to back up through raid I prefer to have a seperate hard drive in the PC, Also an External Harddrive in which I have gone through 2, the reason for the external is its easy to connect the Laptop to it as well.

I have backups of files in triplicate and any sign of any drive going down then its on to my supplier for a new one, the best thing about Harddrives now is they are not expensive and easy to replace.

Raid is not to hard to setup, not like the early days. File transfer is alot quicker especially if you are running 2 harddrives in tandom. But if you have the time on your hands to upload 4 to 8 gb at a time to your PC without Raid like I have then that is fine.

Over the years of using computers I have found the reason that harddrives fail is due to not using the drives on a regular basis. I allways use my computers on a daily basis and have never experienced a failure on any of my computers, only had failures on external drives which are not fired up regular and only used once a week for backing up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:19 pm 
I know I read it, another nice article.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:14 pm 
As I am about to buy a new storage system for my Photo files, I am looking at the Raid 1 systems and hot swap for the drives. I know there will be additional cost with additional hard drives, but I would be happier to know that my files were OK........ maybe.

With hot swap I should be able to read the single drives in a one drive setup case if needed....... thinking of getting 500g Sata 11 drives for the overall system......My way of thinking is it is better to have additional copies of my files, than to lose some or all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:34 pm 

You lost me there. There is no data redundancy in a RAID 1 array, as far as I remember, so what is the point of being able to hot-swap?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:01 pm 
one advantage for me would be, although over kill and more expensive, would be a pair of drives for each client, giving a backup, using a Raid 1, hot swap two drive set up. Small maybe a bit slow so also looking at E Sata for a bit more speed, but a reliable set up and backup is more important. Also high fault tolerance at a low cost compared to some other systems

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:09 pm 
....... here is one system I will be having a look at.......

http://www.streetwise.com.au/product_in ... ts_id=5123

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:19 pm 

Sorry - I was having a "bad hair" moment there (no EOS "3D" launch :cry: ) and confusing Raid 1 with RAID 0. Hot-swapping makes sense, of course.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.