Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: My Computer Crashed
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:46 am 
Greetings :)

Ok, about a month ago my computer crashed because of the Blue Screen of Death and now my computer wont turn on. Ok, I know a little about computer but I'm pretty sure I can take the hard drive of my DESKTOP and transfer the files to my laptop but the thing is I don't know how...

Can anyone help me please? How do I connect the hard drive to the laptop and can anyone suggest a good external hard drive so that I can tranfer the files.

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:28 pm 

Hi Eejay Angel,

Bad luck!

The cheapest solution might be to see if a knowledgeable friend is willing to add your HDD to his or her computer temporarily and then connect your laptop via a network.

Another possibility would be an external SATA enclosure (I assume your HDD is an SATA model) such this one from Dabs. I've no idea if it would work (the enclosure may not recognise the disk formatting) but at that price it might be worth a punt if there's no other option.

BTW, Gordon won't exactly get rich on that purchase but don't forget that CameraLabs (not me) earns a small commission if you start your purchase from this page rather than the direct link I just supplied.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:30 pm 

Sure you can. You first need to find out if the drive is IDE or SATA. IDE is a big rectangular block connector with a lot of pins and a (generally) flat cable, where sata is a way smaller connector with a small flat cable on it. Google image search for easier recognition.

Based on that, there are several docks you can get. Sharkoon offers some, and there are more simple adapters. Keep in mind your laptop uses smaller drives so directly connecting it won't work.

I'd go for a dock/connector with USB (every laptop has this), or eSata (only for the newer laptops)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:18 pm 
Is this dock OK???

http://www.amazon.co.uk/IOMAX-SATA-Adap ... -2-catcorr

I got a question... Can BSoD affect the hard drive? And will hard drive pass viruses to another computer when connected to it?

I'm sorry I forgot to reply back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:25 pm 
Blue screen means your memory faulty, so replacing the RAM or if you have more then one, just taking the broken on out, the PC should work

Or if your getting nothing at all, its the video RAM and that is fitting a new video card

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:55 pm 
What is a RAM? What does it look like?

I don't know that reason really. I was just playing Sims3 and then I left the computer on for about an hour or two and when I came back... It won't turn on anymore.

BTW, when I connect my hard drive using the device I've shown above. Will it need to be intalled to the computer I am connecting it to???

Thank you for help guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:26 pm 
Question 1.
yes to the dock, but before you but it try the ram memory

Question 2.
BSoD sometimes, if it was your motherboard overheaded, that might cause some damage, or a power surge etc.

Question 3.
yes

Question 4. RAM memory
www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=s ... &x=15&y=17

take out your first strip, then your second, insert the second strip into the 1st fixture (after udoing the small clips top & bottom) then restart your machine