Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Backup while on holiday
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:57 pm 

I have read on several posts about members wanting to backup their memory cards while away on holiday or just travelling around.

I have done a lot of "Googling" about various devices that can copy the contents of your memory cards onto portable media. And to be honest none of them have very good write ups, they use a lot of battery power and are slow, a lot of them are also completely unreliable.

I just wanted to share the way I do it. It's cheap, reliable and can hold upto 160GB of data. And the best thing is it will fit in your shirt pocket.

I often leave the UK during winter time, sometimes for two months so you can imagine the ammount of memory cards that would be needed for that length of time.

I can easily go through a 16GB card in a couple of days, especially using RAW. I like to travel fairly light and don't want to carry around laptops or anything bulky.

Enter my 160GB iPod Classic.
I have it enabled as a Disk and copy all of my cards onto it while I am away.

Having it enabled this way you don't need iTunes to organise it. Just "Plug and Play". Along with a USB cable and card reader it's all you need.

Just plug it into a USB port and it appears in "My Computer" as a removable drive. While it's plugged in to the USB port it's using the PC power so it doesn't use the iPod battery power.

I have been to a lot of remote places and can always find a computer I can plug into.
There are always Internet cafes and even hotel foyers where you can plug in. I find people very willing and helpful.
Now I wouldn't travel without it.

Hope it helps.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:11 am 
I use my ipod classic for the same when I'm travelling, I love it.

Also useful for any portable device is Portable Apps (http://www.portableapps.com)

I posted a bit about it on my blog http://ianganderton.wordpress.com/2011/01/25/top-tip-1-portable-apps-on-your-ipod-camera-phone-or-memory-stick/

Quote:
Now I carry around with me for no extra weight or cost a copy of the browser Firefox with all my key favourites saved and that won’t leave behind any history when I unplug the drive. I have the Open Office Software Suite which will allow me to create and edit any key documents where ever I am. I have a copy of MSN and Skype that wont leave behind any history. I have the excellent GIMP photo/image creation/editing software and Mozilla Thunderbird for all my email needs plus a couple of other bits and bobs. All of this software is set up how I like it and can be used on any computer, on top of all that it has anti virus software to keep everything protected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

Good tip - another option is to go into a cyber-cafe and burn images onto a CD or DVD, although these can obviously fill up quick with today's files. Good for sending the backup home though in case you lose your gear en-route...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:55 am 

Along that line, if you have access to a computer, Western Digital makes incredibly small, USB-powered external hard drives. My WD My Passport 1TB drive is about the size of my smartphone, and you'd have a tough time filling that drive up on any trip.