Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:27 pm 
Hey guys, can anyone suggest a cheap but good portable hard drive?

My laptop is nearly full now and I need to transfer and back up my files but also I am really scared of losing my files because of a virus or malfunction. It happened to me a lot of time to me and I haven't back upped any of the file on my old computer... I know very tragic.

Anyway, I'm not really bothered about portability. All I want is a cheap and very reliable hard drive that will survive a long time.

One more question, I've heard stories from people about their hard drive crashing and losing all of the data... How can that happen and how could I prevent that in the future?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:52 pm 

I use the Lacie Rugged model a lot.

I've had 2 hard drive crashes in the past, one just this past december, so it does happen. How not to loose data? Back it up to a second and maybe even a third location. Using a RAID system is another backup option. I use a RAID 5 setup and along with that I have another backup hard drive in a seperate location at my brother's house. I also have a 1TB Lacie Rugged portable hard drive which is in my camera case and goes with me everywhere. It contains a backup of all my processed "keeper" images.

The hard drive in my camera case also doubles as a backup for pictures taken on extended outings so I have daily backups while on photography outings or trips of any kind where I am taking pictures just in case something happens to a camera or a memory card. At least this way I still have all the images taken on prior days and hopefully only loose the pictures taken that day. You may not think this happens often but in my last 3 outings involving 23 people and a total of 34 days there have been 5 cameras lost or malfunction as well as 4 memory cards malfunction.

Some may think I am over cautious but I've seen too many things go wrong while out on extended outings, and also with home backups, to not play it safe.

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr