Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Extra Fast Memory Cards
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:15 pm 
I read one user review here or elsewhere and the writer suggested getting the Level IV CF card. So I looked and sure enough there are different levels or write speeds for these cards. And the level IV card, now this is a card mind you, is about 100 bucks. Now that is some expensive nano technology!

Gordon, perhaps this would make an interesting subject for one of your well done tests. How much faster can a given camera take photos given a certain write speed of the card. As with any other product, what is the trade off of speed versus cost, for that matter what is the speed of my Olympus XD card?

Anyone have some experience or observations?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:56 pm 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the write-speed only matter if you are holding down the shutter button and taking numerous photos at one time?

And even if you are taking numerous photos in one shot wouldn't you have to exceed the number of photos the buffer can hold before writing to the card would take place?

Mitch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:08 pm 

Hi folks,

The write speed of a card shouldn't be a huge factor for most of us unless you are in the habit of filling the camera's own buffer, either in a single long burst or in a quick sequence of shorter bursts. You might save yourself a minute or two using a high speed card if you download photographs directly from the card to the PC via a high speed reader. My own choice was a Type III card which seemed a good compromise between speed and cost compared to the Type IV.

Bob.

P.S. I've moved this thread to the "Storage and backup" forum where similar discussions have occurred in the past.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject: Whoops wrong site
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:49 pm 
Thanks Bob, I am still learning my way round everything, and there is a lot, this site has to offer, yes that is where I should have posted, and again I am learning from these posts