Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:42 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:06 am 
Hello all, i'm new to the DSLR world. But been taking pictures with my Canon powershot for years now. I'll be getting the Canon Rebel Xs as my starter and looking on the forum I see specfic infomation about memory cards. What card would you suggest I get with the Rebel Xs? And also (i apologize if this has already been explained) whats the importance of a great memory card. Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:53 am 
Hi opheiliamath,

and a war welcome to the forum!

There are three main parameters for memory cards:
- size/storage capacity
- speed of data transfer
- reliability of performance

On size, you have to decide how many eggs you want to put in the same basket. Some like to have several cards, to spread the risk of malfunction. Others like biiig ones so they can shoot with abandon for hours and hours.

Speed gives you the possibility of longer bursts - but this is also limited by the buffer in your camera. A high speed card can only take the data as fast as the camera can deliver it. For the camera you have in mind, any contemporary card would do. No need to go for the fastest of the lot.
Of course there is the off-laoding of the card to your computer, which to me is less important, but you may feel different.

Reliability; well statistically they don't go breaking all the time. But it has happened to me once...at the worst possible time. My oldest sons graduation party...shot 850 pictures and lost them all because the card died on me. I will never buy no-name and marginal brands again.

Your camera will use SD cards I believe. 4GB cards seems to be the sweet spot these days, in terms of price and performance. It will give you probably around 500+ images at highest quality+size JPEG files. Less for RAW files and if you shoot JPEG+RAW even less.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:10 am 
LahLahSr thanks for the explanation. Makes perfect sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:41 pm 
i have a few year old sandisk SD card that's still kicking around, i've had no issues with my lexar or sandisk cards.