Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:14 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:24 pm 
So, I was messing around with my parents Canon Powershot SX10 and ended up accidentally reformatting the memory card inside of it. It is an Optima SDHC 8GB memory card that had like 400+ pictures on it.

I had already looked on multiple websites for advice on whether I could get any of those pictures back and it seemed that if I had left the card alone I might have been able to. Well, I didn't know I had deleted all those pictures and started taking more pics afterwards. I got up to about 40 new pictures when I realized that all the previous ones were gone.

So far I've downloaded: Recuva, FreeUndelete, Glary Undelete, and Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery. All 4 programs have only been able to find 1 deleted picture and nothing else. Because I kept taking pictures after reformatting, does that mean all of the previous pictures are gone for good? Or is there maybe a stronger program that might be able to get even SOME of the old pictures back? Has anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

I've pretty much already accepted that all of those pictures are gone forever...I just don't know how I'm going to tell my parents! :'( I always have to learn the hard way about backing up my files!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:33 pm 
Some of the photos will be still there, but because you started taking more photos, this will have written over the addresses of the older pictures and make it impossible to retreive these.

You could ring one of these places that do hard drive recovers and see what they say, that would be your best option as these people do this type of thing day in day out

Last edited by FazerUK on Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:38 pm 

I've had some success in the past with the recovery software Sandisk bundle with their higher end cards. Might be worth trying to track it down somehow and give it a try.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.