Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: should i upgrade to 8GBs
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:17 am 
i have had my dslr for 3 months now and im using 2 4GB Lexar Professional UDMA cards. But i am yet to use raw. now that i have the feel for the camera, am starting to do extensive edditing and printing enlargements i was thinking of getting some 8GB and set my camera to raw and jpeg shooting. i also have a g10 and am thinking of doing the same thing.

is this a good idea? my delema is the bigger cards cost alot but id rather have the one setting on my camera then have to say hold on this shot could go in my portfolio and set it to raw shooting then.

so on the same note i love lexar and i havnt had any issues with them. but if you knw any cheaper brands which are just as good, now is the time for me to swap over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:24 am 

I see CF cards as a more or less one time cost. If you need it, you need it.

To help, if you don't need to shoot continuously a lot, you can get away with slower cards, which are then much cheaper per capacity.

In my 50D I mostly use a 16 GB Sandisk Extreme III. Set to J+R that holds just over 500 shots. Having said that, when the action gets hot with wildlife I do tend to hit the buffer limit fast and have recently ordered an 8 GB Extreme IV for the speed to see if that helps. The Extreme IV is about double the cost per capacity than the III, but it sure isn't twice as fast...

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

Hi thereza333, the Lexar UDMA cards are some of the best around right now and your 50D will exploit their full speed. If you switch to a slower card, you'll notice your buffer takes a little longer to empty out after a continuous burst. Could be worth trying a friends or one in a store though to see if the impact is that bad - it may not bother you.

I use a 4GB Lexar UDMA card when testing DSLRs and find there's plenty of room on there even when shooting RAW on a high-res model. I guess it depends how many pictures you want to take before swapping cards or downloading the images...

I'm also a fan of carrying multiple small cards than one huge one because if something goes wrong with the card or it gets lost, I don't want to lose everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:10 am 
i think ill stick with the brands i have but up grade to 8GB.

your right the lexars are good but i think ill keep the extreme III on the g10 since i dont demand as much from this camera