Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:03 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:43 pm 
First time poster here. I have been lurking for a while, but finally decided to join. Of course the motivation was a problem. Here it is:

I have an Olympus e-520 with a 4GB Kingston Elite Pro Compact Flash card. While using the camera on Thanksgiving, I suddenly received the warning that the card was "Write Protected". I hadn't changed anything. Luckily I had an XD card as well, so I could still take pictures, but now I can't use the CF card at all. The not so helpful manual said that I have to change the write protection with the computer, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do that. I am using the Olympus Master 2 software that came with the camera. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:16 pm 

Normally there will be a small switch situtaed on the side/bottom that you need to move (similar to a write protect on a floppy disk). There should also be a word lock on the label indictating where it is

http://chrismckayphotography.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:00 am 
Thanks for the response. The particular card I am using does not have a switch that I can see that changes the write protection.

But, the problem seems to have fixed itself, which is only partially satisfying. I purchased a card reader and was able to remove the pictures on the CF card and then delete the pictures on the CF card. It now works fine in the camera. For whatever reason its seems to be a corrupted picture file that caused it to lock up. Anyway, it works. I still haven't figured out how to change the write protection through the computer, but I can find where it tells me its is open to writing and reading. By the way I have an IMac that is running Leopard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:19 am 

Make sure that every time you get the pictures onto your hard drive you put the card back in the camera and reformat from inside the camera. Might help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:04 am 
cjmchch wrote:
Normally there will be a small switch situtaed on the side/bottom that you need to move (similar to a write protect on a floppy disk). There should also be a word lock on the label indictating where it is

The lock is on SD memory cards, not compact flash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:27 am 
Yeah, I hadn't been reformatting the CF card, just erasing all. I think from now on I will reformat once downloaded and backed up.

Thanks.