Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:02 am

All times are UTC

In your situation, what would you pick?
Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
Lowepro Fastpack 250 71%  71%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 14
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:02 pm 
Hello.
As the equipment grows, the bag grows (or you should make it at least). And as i have one that excactly fits my camera with the kit lens, i need a new, as i'll soon get a new lens.

I've cut it down to two bags - The (A) Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW and the (B) Lowepro Fastpack 250.

My needs:
- Has to fit my camera and approx 3 lenses. (A&B)
- Has to fit the Sigma 70-200 2.8 on my body. (B, not sure about A)
- Has to have a little room for other stuff (blower, G'Pod, cables, chargers etc...) (A&B)
- Has to have quick acces to the camera. (A&B)

Extras:

- Room for a notebook (B)
- All weather cover (A)
- Water bottle holder (B)

So my questions:
- What would you pick in my situation?
- What would you pick in your current situation?
- Do anyone know if a Camera with an attached Sigma 70-200 2.8 fits in the Slingshot?

0eyvind
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:04 pm 

I'd go for the fastpack. It's advantage shared with the Slingshot is the side-access, but... it hangs over two shoulders instead of one. Your gear may not be heavy yet, but once it is, I can tell you it's horrible to carry all that weight around on one shoulder only. And I don't think you can move the bag over to the other shoulder either.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:40 pm 

I've got the FP250....got it when my subscription to Photoplus promised me the FP200 but when it arrived there was a note saying that due to demand, they had ran out of the 200's....so were sending me a replacement...damn, I thought - prolly be the 100.....nope! Twas the 250 :D

Love it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:51 pm 
Bjorn van Sinttruije wrote:
... it hangs over two shoulders instead of one. Your gear may not be heavy yet, but once it is, I can tell you it's horrible to carry all that weight around on one shoulder only. And I don't think you can move the bag over to the other shoulder either.

- Bjorn -

That's actually one of the main reasons (forgot to mention that :oops: ) i started looking for another bag instead of the Slingshot. BEcause before, i was definetly sure that i'd get the Slingshot.

Well thanks for the replys, helpful (:

0eyvind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:17 am 

I was initially looking at the slingshot too, but after trying it out in Jessops, just didn't like the 'feel' of it slung across my chest and prefered the rucksack format of the fastpack!

My one reservation was that when it's not on my back fully - and just in 'quick mode' sorta thing - I always tend to have a rucksack over my RIGHT shoulder (ANY rucksack I mean, not just the fastpack.....) - but to get quick access to the side compartment for the camera/lenses, you have to have it on your LEFT shoulder!

Anyway, when it came, I tried it out for the day once, and by the end of it, was really comfortable with having to have it on my left shoulder and now do it without thinking....

Oh, and one other thing I personally didn't like was, with the FP250 being the big brother of the 200 and able to take a laptop if required, they have put a padded waist belt and buckle, to give more stability I guess...but I didn't want this on as it meant you have to keep unclipping it all the time to get to the quick access compartment....so as it was sewn in and not removable, I cut it off and have it without at all....still feels great! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:55 pm 
One up for the Fastpack, I actually have both the Slingshot 200 and Fastpack 200. My ZD 50-200 SWD f2.8-3.5 fits on both, but is extremely snug on the slingshot. When I was carrying my 510 and kit lenses, it was no problem as they're extremely light, but when I upgraded into both ZD 14-54 f2.8-3.5 and the 50-200 on the slingshot, and it gets really uncomfortable during long walks. To me, the weight is not evenly distributed and the strap digs in my neck/clavicle area. The only great thing about the slingshot is the AW and that the swinging motion to get your camera is much more secure and smoother, a lot less awkward than the fastpack.

The fastpack on the other hand, you can fit SO MUCH stuff in it, while barely much bigger than the slingshot. It's riddled with pockets galore. I can fit all my gear, flash, both lens, 1 body, charger, cords, cleaning supplies, etc... plus so much more room to spare. The weight also feels much more balance, though the sling motion to get your camera is more awkward. As far as the AW, well I just bought a 1 dollar disposable raincoat and voila, instant AW lol.

This guy got a comparison to both slingshot and fastpack
http://flickr.com/photos/kentkc/sets/72157604363601422/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:27 pm 
Thanks for the answers, I'm now a lot more sure (;
So, reasons why not to get Slingshot:
- No laptop compartment, one strap, no water bottle holder, smaller.

And reasons to get it:
- AW cover.'

(I probably forgot some stuff :p)

Quote:
As far as the AW, well I just bought a 1 dollar disposable raincoat and voila, instant AW lol.

Can you perhaps show me a pic of how it's done, where you keep, how it loos on etc?
That'd be great
0eyvind