Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:26 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:02 pm 

Hi everyone - noobie to DSLR's here.....

Trying to get my head around everything that goes with it - getting there slowly, thanks to this and other similar sites around...

I'm scouring all the reviews for a camera bag to go with my newly acquired 450D + kit-lens , a 55-250mm lens (on order) + all other smaller bits and bobs.....

I was originally going to go with the standard shoulder-type bag....but after seeing demo's on YT on how quick and easy it is to access your kit with the backpack-type bags, Ive decided to go that route instead!

The one small fly in the ointment for me is, I always carry a rucksack on my right shoulder (when not fully in place on my back)...I've seen one or two comments in reviews for them, that says it is a bit of a pain for people (like me) that wear the rucksack like this, as it feels odd working off the left shoulder.....(why they aren't fully 'over-the-top' zips, I dont know....! :roll: )

Before I go off and buy one and 'make do' with the left-side access.....are there any other manufacturers that do right-sided access bags that you know of?

Thanks....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:37 am 
Hi Rex_Ham and welcome to the forum.

As far as I know, all of the backpacks that allow quick access are accessed from the right side only. I've yet to see any that do it from the left.

Also, all the backpacks that allow quick access from the side usually do have the "over-the-top" zip anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:54 pm 

Well, I went into Jessops in town and tried on the b-packs.

Verdict: Didn't like the slingshot - just didn't 'feel' right....wasn't comfortable with the strap across the chest design ( dare say, some will love it though - we're all different.... :wink: )

Tried the fastpack 200 and though I'd have preferred the option to have it opening the other side to suit my right sided bias, preferred that over the slingshot, BUT.... I found it a bit too big for what I wanted.

I'm sure the FB 100 would've been ideal....but the store never had them (and when the sales assistant looked in their catalogue, there wasn't an option for it either, so assume Jessops don't do that size...bah!)

Gonna take a chance it IS the right one for me, and order it via the net from somewhere I think.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:34 pm 
I got the fastpack 300 and it's brilliant. I carry everything in it with me almost all the time. It's not the smallest of backpacks but it's certainly not huge either. The amount of gear it stores is amazing though. It's definitely well made anyway and gets a little bit of a beating from myself and has lasted very well so far.

Post subject: i have it!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:42 pm 
Dear Rex_ham
if you want one backpack to be accessed for right or left go to KATA bags they have one model named 3N1 i was thinking about it for long time but i did not have their agency in my country.
here is the link direct to the bag
http://www.kata-bags.com/product.asp?Version=Photo&p_Id=432

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:09 pm 

Thanks for that ziro_axis....

As it wasn't available when I needed it, I ended up 'making do'....though that might be a bit unfair an expression, as I got the Fastpack 250 with a subscription to Photoplus magazine (this was a bonus as the offer was for a Fastpack 200....but due to demand had sold out....so replaced it with the next one up....TIDY!!!)

After a day or two with the pack on my left shoulder instead of my usual right, it was no problem.....

I can really recommend the FP series....though this bag looks like the bizzo too......

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:25 pm 

I recent bought the Lowepro Primus AW and i love it. It's excelent for traveling and stuff, since its really comfortable. But it's all about what you need of course.
However i made a review of it, just in case you're bored and need something to read :)

Canon EOS 400D + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8
My Photos - My webpage (danish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:46 pm 

Hi Noceo

Even if I wasn't 'bored'...I would surely have taken the time to read your review after you being obliging enough to add to my thread - thanks!

Infact, I found your review very informative and interesting.

First off....what a fantastic place to go to. :wink:

Secondly, it does really look like a great bag.... I think Lowepro make excellent gear generally!

I'm glad you like your bag too.....the Fastpack I had delivered also had a waist band, but found it got on my nerves a bit when in between taking shots...so I cut the bloody thing off :twisted:

I know, a lot must be cringing at this, but I much prefer it this way....how the heck are you supposed to swing it round to the front when it's fastened up anyway?

Anyway, that's what I did and I now find it great....infact, the straps off the waist belt are a bonus now, as I use them to strap my tripod to the backpack.

I thought initially the bag would be too cumbersome....but find it great to use and hardly notice I'm carrying anything at all really.

Well pleased with it

:wink: