Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:48 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:02 pm 
Hi all,
I'm going to Alaska in a few days time and I'm realizing I really need a dedicated camera backpack.

I'm looking for something small - it needs to carry 1 DSLR (Olympus e520) with lens attached and room for 1-2 more lenses.

I'd also like to be able to carry my monopod (the smallest manfrotto) and still have room for a lightweight raincoat, a water bottle, some food, and a guidebook.

I'd looked at the Kata 3n1-10 and the other larger models, but they don't specifically say they can deal with the monopod.

Lowepro Flipside's can do all of that besides have room for personal belongings. The fastpack series will carry all my stuff nicely, minus the monopod.

Does anyone have experience attaching monopods to any of those models or can anyone suggest something else that will satisfy my needs?
Thanks in advance!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:59 am 
let me know what you're planning on doing up there and i'll tell u what i think...

personally i would go with a military grade optics bag.

Post subject: Activities
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:32 pm 
Uh... I'll be hiking, and going on a boat ride or two. I'll be sea kayaking and fly fishing at some point but I might just carry my point and shoot in its water proof diving case for those activities. I'm hoping to pack this bag inside my carry on rolling suitcase so size is a consideration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:30 pm 

I'd go with a pelican case. they're water tight, drop proof, very durable, you can make your own semi water tight case, like the one I made at my blog, but its a bit small for a few lenses: http://jakeoconnell.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... -case.html

Jake

PS: if you want a bag, I think the Crumpler is the most Sexy!

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:56 am 
yeah...i'd recommend a military style optics bag.

http://www.rei.com/product/751973

but the crumpler should do well... :D