Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Decision made
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:09 am 

My thanks for the good feedback and suggestions.

I finally ordered the LowePro DryZone Rover sight unseen. I got an excellent price online from Wilkinson Cameras and will qualify for an extra 20% cashback from LowePro. It would have been nice to try the bag out in a shop but Jessops was the only realistic choice here in the UK and their price is so high there was absolutely no chance of purchasing from them so I did the decent thing.

I was nearly tempted by the price of the Domke Armadillo 30 special offer at Warehouse Express. These bags are no longer made as far as I can see, hence the reduction from £199 to £80. Might be of interest to those of you in Europe.

I'll share my thoughts on the DryZone Rover in the User Reviews thread in due course.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:21 pm 

I have shared a few thoughts about the LowePro DryZone Rover as a user review.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:19 am 
Hello everyone I'm kinda new to the forums, and I heard you guys are trying to pick out a good camera bag, yes the Lowepro CompuRover AW is a soild choice I brought it with me when me and my friend went on a trip to Japan, you wouldn't believe what it can sqeeze:
The backpack managed to sqeeze in one Nikon D50 with a 18-135 lens (and the hood!) another 55-200mm VR lens while still having a black 13" macbook, charger, my orange rugged Lacie external hard drive (and the connection cords) and safely... Gordan, sandwhiches (we put a box of sushi) along with memory cards, a cleaning cloth and still have room for 2 small lenses or one more telephoto

have a look for your selves
http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/notebook_camera/CompuRover_AW.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:52 am 
Site Admin

Hmmm, nice choice! I saw a pro using one of these the other day and it looked pretty good... maybe I should get some bags in for review...

Gordon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:38 pm 
Bob Andersson wrote:
zorro wrote:
Do you really need a hydration system in the bag?

Not really but it does come in handy for those Borg impressions

Bob.

:lol:

"You will be photographed...Resistance is futile..."

OK, it sounded funny to me at the time... :roll:

As for bags, I use a Promax backpack. Funny thing is the brand is not that well known but the bag itself is quite tough. They are not specifically designed for carrying cameras and lenses (Although some photo specific version do seem to be floating around the net) but the bag I have seems to be made out of multiple compartments which you can use to store photographic equipment (Although to be fair until recently my old superzoon was as much in the way of photographic kit). Might be worth a look on Google for this brand though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:32 pm 
Here is a crumpler that does what was asked - a area for photo stuff, a laptop and some bits 'n bobs!

http://www.crumplerbags.com/Cart/index.php?catId=22

Post subject: Bags
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:44 pm 

Hi tcs,

Thanks for the tip. In the end I bought a LowePro DryZone Rover Backpack which I reviewed here.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:07 am 
ok i haven't got one but i've been doing my research and i found the perfect on for me and it fits you as well. It the Tamrac Adventure 9 photo computer backpac.

It's got space for a laptop, Digital SLR with 3 lenses filters batteries and how they like to say "room for a light jacket or lunch". You can find it anywhere but amazon are prety good on price.

Hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:04 am 
Site Admin

Good suggestion - looks a bit like a Crumpler Customary Barge or Sinking Barge, one of which may end up being my rucksack in the very near future...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:22 am 

I'm now looking for something to carry my camera gear and a 15" notebook. I'm thinking about 5'8", blonde, just enough English...hang on! Sorry, got a tad carried away there :lol:

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:07 am 
Greetings!
I’m to in backpack shopping. Lowepro has good products and I’ll go with this one award wining Lowepro Slingshot 200AW:
http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Sling_B ... 00_AW.aspx
It is great for bike riding, because I don’t need to take it of my shoulders when grabbing a camera.

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:20 am 
I'd also highly recommend the Urban Disguise form think tank photo

http://thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_UrbnDsgs.php

B.T.W. I don't know if they ship to the UK since I live in North America. :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:39 pm 
Bob the ThinkTank Rotation 360 is what I'm getting and yes it can be obtained from the UK.

http://www.snapperstuff.com

Rotation 360:
http://www.snapperstuff.com/catalog/pro ... cts_id=121

Check it out on the main ThinkTank link
http://www.rotation360.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:30 pm 

Hi G,

Thanks for asking in another thread how I am getting on with my backpack. I did a mini review of it (which falls a long way short of the review standards set by Gordon and many others on the forum) but had not spent much time with it up to that point. I'm pleased to say it is extremely comfortable (though that is a very subjective judgement) and it is a perfect size for a day-pack.

It is re-assuring to know that the waterproof camera section can protect my kit against the worst of the weather. The flip side is that it takes a few extra moments to retrieve lenses etc. It works well in conjunction with my LowePro Topload Zoom 2 beltpack.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:06 am 
Good to hear that the backpack is conformable.

I should be getting the Rotation etc tomorrow.

Yeah I liked your review.