Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:59 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:59 am 
high all

does anyone have this bag and if so is it capable of holding a dslr with a 70-300mm lense on the camera. I ask as i have the 100aw and if i want to use my 70-300mm i have to take everything out just so if fits in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:36 am 

Hi blackrabbit,

I have this bag, and yes, your gear will fit in there. When I purchased my D80, there was a guy at the counter buying a D3, and they tested it with a huge telephoto lens attached, and it fitted like a glove.

The best thing to do is take your gear with your biggest lens attached to a camera store which has this bag and test it. If it fits, but you think they are asking for too much, than you can always order it online knowing that your gear will fit in it.

I have only one lens, and when i go on a short trip (about 2-3 days) I'm able to fit some clean clothing in it (some socks and underwear, and a t-shirt or two), in addition to the charger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:58 pm 
How is the Slingshot for comfort, compared to a traditional backpack design?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:19 am 

It's very comfortable.

It has a secondary strap which connects to the primary strap which will effectively prevent any swinging from side to side, and up and down. The secondary strap can be tucked away in a small concealment when not used.

It feels a little different than carrying a traditional backpack, but it serves exactly the same purpose. The only advantage this bag serves is the quick access to the camera, if thats what you need.

However the bag does look like a camera bag, or atleast a bag that is carrying something 'special' and expensive, but I have not had any problems with it here in Russia... and Russia is not the friendliest of places.

Anyhow, I've not had any problems with this bag except for the fact I have too much space available in it. I hope christmas comes soon and I get a visit by the Nikkor santa... aaah, keep dreaming :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:24 pm 
im on the verge of buying this bag, but i have never seen or tried one out.

from images that I have seen, i dont think it looks particularly like a camera bag, such as the ones that have a single strap and are square or slightly triangular. Maby they look more special in the flesh?

One thing i dont like about two strap dedicated laptop bags is that they feel really stiff and when people wear then they look slightly orquard. Is this 200 camera bag anything like this?

One thing i notice is that the strap goes over the right sholder. Does this take getting used two?

Is it quick and easy to slip on and off completley?

Im used to a single strap messanger style bag with the strap on the left sholder and the bag on the right, accross my body. Do you think i will find this much different and strange?

With this bag, do you find that you keep your camera in the bag much more due to this bag having "quick access"?

-What is this bag like to use as a normal general purpose bag, not with camera equipment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:53 am 

Quote:
from images that I have seen, i dont think it looks particularly like a camera bag, such as the ones that have a single strap and are square or slightly triangular. Maby they look more special in the flesh?

This bag looks very much like a camera bag, and in my opinion this is not such a good thing. I did'nt think this aspect through well enough before buying this bag. But it's not that bad.

Quote:
One thing i dont like about two strap dedicated laptop bags is that they feel really stiff...

Stiff in what way? Stiff on the shoulders, stiff on the back...?

Quote:
...and when people wear then they look slightly orquard. Is this 200 camera bag anything like this?

Well it certainly has a peculiar shape so it might draw attention of an oppurtunist. But if you're just worried by how your appearance would be affected by it, well... just dont be bothered by it. Simple :wink:

Quote:
One thing i notice is that the strap goes over the right sholder. Does this take getting used two?

Im used to a single strap messanger style bag with the strap on the left sholder and the bag on the right, accross my body. Do you think i will find this much different and strange?

Well if you're used to a single strap bag hanging over your shoulder, then this bag should not feel much different. The only difference is that with the camera bag the weight is behind your back, so this would cause the weight to pull your shoulder back and down; while with the messenger bag (if you place it on your side) the weight is pulling down an inwards on your shoulder. This difference is not much, but if the bag is relatively heavy and you carry it for hours on end (8+ hours) and walking all the time, it does become a little uncomfortable on the right shoulder. And the secondary strap will not help with this at all. In fact the secondary strap has never come in handy. I guess one would need to do some serious cliff hanging to justify the addition of this strap :roll:

Quote:
Is it quick and easy to slip on and off completley?

Just as quick and easy as with your messanger bag.

Quote:
With this bag, do you find that you keep your camera in the bag much more due to this bag having "quick access"?

Not at all. I don't see the 'quick access' as a determining factor. How often do you find yourself saying, "Bollocks, if I could just have taken the camera out the bag 15 seconds faster."? Not often at all, if you're only an enthusiast photographer. It's the 'easy access' to the camera and other gear in the bag without having to take the bag off your body and finding a place to put it on (there is not always a dry and clean place for this) which appeals to me.

Quote:
What is this bag like to use as a normal general purpose bag, not with camera equipment?

I would not reccomend this bag as a general purpose bag, but it can be used as one because the adjustable dividers can be removed. You could instead get a decent general purpose bag with the money you would spend on this bag.

So.........

The three determining factors of this bag for me was:
1. The easy access,
2. The adjustable dividers (which I believe most camera bags offer these days),
3. Most importantly, the 'All Weather Cover'. I live in St. Petersburg, and the weather here can turn on a dime. I don't have a car and often walk far distances from any public transport, so this feature is invaluable to me. None of the other bags they sell here had any such feature, so the choice for me was quite obvious.

You need to think not just of the gear you will be carrying, but also where you will be using it. For example, if you hike often, you might find it more economical to get a bag which has a dedicated compartment for your camera gear and a larger compartment for other stuff. In this instance it would be wise to invest in a bag in which the camera compartment is completely waterproof. A bonus would be if it has a water resistant cover which can be pulled over the entire bag.
Create a bunch of scenarios you think would be possible and then write down what features the bag must have. Then go look for a bag which offers all these must have features instead of just looking at bags and thinking how their features can help you.

Hope this helps 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:28 am 
thank you for your reply, it was ver helpfull. I have been looking at all the other camera bags available and I like the look of this one over all the others due to the quick access and the style of the bag.

Im after a bag that will carry my camera and a lense or two, as well as some of my own posshions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:38 am 

No problem. I'm sure you'll be happy with this bag then :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:35 pm 
Just ordered this bag from amazon. Thanks again for th advice with the bag. I will report back on my opinions of the bag

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:42 pm 

Anytime :wink: