Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:56 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:23 pm 
Hi Guys,

I have a B+W 10 stop ND filter, which is a screw on type. I also have a Lee 0.9 Grad ND filter.

I need to stack these two filters together. Is this possible? The reason is that there are situations when I'm shooting landscapes and more often then not, the sky's exposure needs to be corrected using the Grad ND but I don't know how to stack these filters together for such long exposures.

Can anyone help? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:51 pm 
Site Admin

Will they screw into each other? If so, you could stack them, but beware of possible image quality issues like reduced contrast, flare and vignetting if the total thickness protruded into the field of an ultra wide lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:53 pm 
Gordon: I have a cokin P series holder, that I use for the GND filter. I have not tried to screw the holder onto the B+W because I was not sure if it would damage either of the two. Would you know if it can be done?

Sorry that I sound so basic here, but I want to make sure I don't break the filter or the holder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:27 am 

Check your B+W filter and see if the front of the filter has a screw thread. Most filters have the ability to screw on then have a cokin filter holder or other filter screw ontop of that.

Just look and you will see the front inside edge of the filter be flat or have a thread you can screw in.

I never saw a screw on filter for a camera not have a front thread before EXCEPT FOR THE A OR P SERIES COKIN FILTER HOLDERS.

4) Leica M [50mm Summicron Pre-aspherical - Silver]

http://www.poetproductions.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:26 pm 
I feel really really dumb. The threads were not very visible at the start. So, I thought it wasn't possible. I tried screwing the coking holder onto the B+W and it works fine :)

Thanks guys!