Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Step Up Rings
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:55 pm 
I recently posted about wanting to use filters and the best, most economical way to do so.

I'm looking into a large 77mm Hoya Pro1 CPL filter and using step up rings to make it fit my 58mm kit lens and 62mm Tamron.

The 77mm choice is to ensure that in the future my widest angle lens will accept the filter directly. All the 10/11mm Canon, Tokina, Sigma and Tamron lenses are at 77mm.

My only problem is knowing whether I will see any vignetting on my current lenses from the step up rings.

I also want to fit a Lee or Cokin filter holder onto the CPL too.

Anybody had the same issue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:42 pm 

Hi Mitchell,

Hope it's OK but as we have a Filters section and this is a Filters question I've moved the thread (but left a shadow behind).

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:22 pm 
Bump!

I'm still looking at these filters and step up rings. If anybody has any practical experience in using a filter and step ring which is larger than the original filter size, I'd like to hear from you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:34 pm 

A step up ring should not cause vignetting as you are fitting a bigger filter onto a smaller lens. Going the other way round would be bad news.

While it sounds like a good idea, personally I don't like it as the filter often gets stuck to the step up ring and they can be a pain to separate again. Also, while you have them connected you can't put the original lens cap back on. You'll either have to remove the step up or buy a bigger lens cap too. Similarly there will be a problem with fitting a hood. Actually, on a wide angle the hood is pretty much useless for flare prevention anyway so it's not great loss.

Don't forget that on a wide angle, a CPL will likely cause an uneven effect through the image due to the effect varying with angle relative to the light source.

If you want to further stack a filter holder on the front of that, do remember the step up ring and CPL will push the holder outwards from the lens. It will therefore start to intrude on the image earlier than if they weren't there, so you may have a less wide usable angle than manufacturer's specification.

I think Cokin do a CPL for their system too, which can be rotated independently of the rectangular filters, so if you are thinking of going that route you might consider using only that.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:42 pm 
Thanks popo, I'm glad you mentioned the cokin system because I was just going to ask about it! I literally just found out there is a 4th round slot at the back of the holder for cokin's own CPL.

Many thanks.