Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pelican products
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:47 pm 

I know they have a good reputation, but are they really worth the money?
I'm considering buying the 1500 hard case.

Also, does anyone own/have an opinion/review on the The Peli PCS1501 Shoulder Bag?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:38 am 

I've owned pelican cases for some time and swear by them for what I do... I now own 4 I think and carry my cameras in them at all times... they have saved my gear more than once and have left me worry free when out in the wildest areas and roughest environs. I've dropped mine off cliffs, into the ocean, off the side of zodiacs, out of the back of a moving truck while chasing moose, used one one time to fend off a moose when treed by one, gosh.. I could go on and on. That being said they are not the easiest to carry... I have stripped down a North Face backpack to its frame and attached a pelican case to it for hiking and it works great, I also attach my tripod to the frame as well as a day pack when needed and a smaller pelican case if more gear is needed... not the lightest rig but it is pretty well indestructable as far as long hikes.. I have carried this rig on 2 week+ hikes over 200km and more.... a few years back I took a 23km hike carrying a pelican case by the handle and I thought my arm was gonna fall off by the end.. hence the packpack frame. They are also great for humid environs... this spring on a whale outing with 3 photographers we had 8 camera bodies.... 3 broke down.. none of mine did.. this fall with 10 photographers on a bear outing we had I think 23 bodies and 3 broke down we think due to humidity... I've never had those issues... I'm never in a panic in the rain or other bad weather and when on the water they actually make for a good floatation device should you end up overboard... trust me.. it happened to me. Anyone spending a night in the wilderness knows how humid nights can become... pelican cases make this a non-issue...

anyways.. yes I am a fan and use them all the time and will for the foreseeable future.

Keep in mind I am talking about wildlife photography.. no idea how useful they would be for other types escept that they are pretty well indestructable. I've actually thrown mine onto shore from a boat in rough weather not wanting to stumble when getting out of the boat.

My main case right now is the 1520 and it holds my 7D with the 100-400 attached and lens hood attached in the right way for quick access, my 50D with the 24-105 attached and the lens hood attached the right way just as above, my 100 macro, spare batteries and chargers for both, cables, backup hard drive, all cleaning instruments, case for 8 memory cards and still has room for another lens if I choose to put it in it. All legal documents for pic rights if ppl are involved in the lid. And it meets carryon baggage requirements for all airlines I use. Its my travel case and it goes with me everywhere including to work every day.

In the end.. imo they are more than worth the money and have saved my gear more times than I can remember. They also make for a great stool and as a stepping block if needed :)

The trip I took in the fall with the 9 other photographers, even though 6 had backpacks .. everyone had a pelican case in one form or another for some if not all of their gear.

In bad weather they have fast easy access and nothing is more water proof than they are... and they take one hell of a beating....

errrr.. k.. enough ranting about how good they are.. its just one persons opinion after all.

Most wildlife photographers who are out in the wild for weeks that I have run in to use them. Its amazing to see some of the harnesses they have developed to make carrying them easier... I`ve seen several photographers rig up harnesses to strap them to the sides of mules or horses, several harnesses for kayaks, I have one of these of my own, harnesses for quads, snowmobiles.. it goes on and on.

One thing.. I do replace my o-rings every year... even though it isnt required it is something I do just to be safe.

I actually sleep with mine beside my bed every night... um..errrr.. ok.. too much information!!! :shock:

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:16 pm 

Wow, thanks for the detailed review Wolfsong.

I wanted something decent that I can use to safely store my gear at home, as well as travelling & will last me for years.
Defo gonna look at one of these in the not too distant future. :wink:

btw, I rang Peli UK last week,to ask about the soft-case/shoulder bag, but apparently it's not a UK stock item, so I bought a Lowepro slingshot bag to keep me going for now.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:57 pm 

I have one as well ^^ I recommend it :P

I use it for travels and storing at home.... it even is a good chair when I went for sport shooting.

I have the Storm Case by Peli iM2620 its pretty big...but really really strong!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:58 pm 

HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM.

I work in search and rescue aboard a lifeboat.
We store night vision glasses and goggles,defibrillators,stabilized binoculars, all sorts of sensitive electronic stuff in them.
Before we chose Pelican we "tested" the cases....
This was with free cases and someone elses gear.... :twisted:
We were told to see if we could make them fail a test.
They all passed with honours and I can tell you they were rigorous tests.
All involved water,all involved bumps,bangs,heat/cold,throwing,stairs,heights all kinds of goodies.

They could have done sooo much better...we did..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgEefnTeOGU

I have a 1550 for my gear.
It goes in open boats on saltwater,four wheelers and anywhere I go.
I loaded my gear into my Jeep one day and wasn't quite finished but had to move the jeep...
Backed up and turned a bit at the same time and my front end rose about 8" on one side.
I was ontop of my case holding my camera with the 500mm on it plus two other lenses.
I backed off it and checked the case for scratches from the gravel.
Didn't bother to open it and check camera/gear...I KNEW it was OK.
Yes they are awkward and a bit cumbersome but the level of protection is unsurpassed.
Not your everyday go to case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:44 am 

I have sat with another person on a pelican case full of gear (we forgot to bring chairs), no trouble there (combined weight ~160 kilos I think)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:55 am 

we have a couple pelican cases at work for our Laser allignment tools,
one of those took a 8 meter fall from the top of a winch to a steel floor and survived.
that same case died when i accidentaly dropped a 54mm bolt on it, wich went right through it.

but it lasted for quite some time concidering really rough industrial use,
like banged into stuff, dropped on steel/concrete floors, tools hitting it, etc.

Canon 50mm 1.4 USM, 100mm F2.8 USM, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II,
16-35 F2.8 L 24-105 L IS USM

Sigma 300mm F2.8

Canon Pixma PRO-9000 MKII

and a 17-40 F4L in a hundred little pieces