Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:59 pm

All times are UTC

Do you use a Body Strap
Poll ended at Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:14 pm
Yes - always have 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
No - never have 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
Previously used (I do not use one at the moment) 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Previously not used (I use one now) 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7
 Post subject: Body Straps
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:14 pm 

Do you use one?

This is mainly for DSLR Users based on the provided strap, or a 3rd party strap, intended for the same use.

I used to use one, but found that the eyes where it attaches to, got in the way, so I removed it. I have also noticed that the camera feels smaller, and I need not fold the strap up to get it into the bag.

I have therefore voted for "previously used".

Leave any comments below, and feel free to vote on the poll, also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:40 pm 

I use one and although I had a few pet peaves they have been fixed. The only other thing that bothers me once in a while is having to remove the ring on the camera if I want to use the tripod or monopod.

1) The old eye ring that swiveled was a pain to connect. The latest version is a dream as it is solid but with it not folding against the body it adds another 1cm or so to the dimensions.

2) In regards to strap size. I just unlatch the camera from the strap and leave the strap on my shoulder all the time when out shooting. Its a quick motion to grab the camera and attach it.

What I love about it is that for me it is ideal for wildlife/on the go photography. How the camera sits on the hip makes it ideal for hiking/walking without interfering with movement hardly or getting in the way or feeling like it is sitting or carrying unnaturally on or against your body at all and also the fast natural access to the camera. I also have the dual holster from them and that is really a dream when you need fast access to multiple cameras (2) without one being in the way of the other or having to root for the second kit. Especially in unstable environs like small boats in big waves, standing in the middle of a creek or any other precarious (sp) situations... the easier the access the more shots and the less likely an accident will happen.

My vote should have actually been use now but not previously.. the reason I hit the other was cause I have been using one for a LOT longer than not.

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:06 pm 

Lets be honest, the ideal case scenario would be to have someone following behind carrying our gear, so it is just a case of saying : "Pass me the 1.2 Fisheye" etc :D

I prefer to have the principal of just carrying what you need. Due to not currently owning loads of accessories, I am able to carry everything in a small bag. The main things that I carry are the 500D Body with an 18-55mm EFS IS lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:13 pm 

When I started, I didn't use a strap for a long time. I found I had no use for it. It just got in the way, and I was happy carrying the DSLR with one finger, providing the lens was heavy enough to balance, so I hated small lenses then. I still prefer no strap when using lighter lenses or indoors, but my definition of light has changed!

I only changed when I got a 2nd DSLR. Simply, I had no way to carry two cameras easily and switch between them. So I had to put them on a strap then. It also made changing lenses easier when using one camera. Later on, I found it getting more essential to help take the weight once I was getting ever bigger lenses and cameras!

Now I have Optech straps on two cameras, I kinda like the way you can remove the neck section, so if you're doing tripod work you don't have it flapping around getting in the way. I did try a detachable tamrac early on but the connectors on that were horrible.

Compacts: Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.