Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:31 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm 

Hi all,

I have bought a new camera(500D) and couple of lenses. I am an avid hiker and would like to take my camera with me along with tripod. I am in search of a good BACKPACK suitable for hiking with enough room for food, clothes and some personal gear AND also able to house my camera and lenses.

I have heard about mountainsmith, clik elite(Too expensive), naneu pro etc. but I don't know which ones are good.

Does anyone know of a good backpack for BOTH hiking & camera purposes??

I think this might be a question for many people out there so please feel free to pitch in.

Much appreciated. Oh, and cheaper the better :oops:

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:08 pm 

I own the Lowepro flipside 200 and I love it. It has come with me on quite a few adventures and always stands to my abuse. One of the best things about this bag is that it doesn't open like a traditional backpack, instead it opens from the back side. Allowing you to lay the bag in the dirt to changes lenses and whatnot without getting the straps dirty. Lowepro makes three sizes.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Fli ... 082,14.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:25 pm 

Hi Tomis,

Thanks for the suggestion. I took a look at the Flipside, and it seems to be only a camera bag- meaning while it will take my camera, lenses and other accessories, it does not leave room for anything else.
I am talking about things you take with you on a 5-7 day hike. Like extra pair of clothes, a rain jacket/poncho, a bladder for water etc. I am not sure the flipside meets these requirements.

Thanks fr the suggestion though. Anyone using bags with these capabilities??

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:05 am 

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't see you were talking about a multi-day bag.

I went for a 6 day hike with my camera a few months ago and I used a pelican case. I just put the pelican case in my regular backpacking backpack. It did the job well. I even had to swim/hike with it in a river for several hours and kept my camera dry and protected. Pelican cases are available in a large amount of sizes and aren't too costly. I used a pelican 1300, which was just large enough for camera and lens with extra battery and cable release. Though looking back I wish I had purchased a slightly larger case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:56 am 

That sounds like a great idea. The extra safety cant hurt. May I know which backpack you used for the trip?

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:13 am 

I used an Osprey Talon 22 for my day pack, and I used an Outdoor Products (I cant remember what kind, its a piece of junk) for my main pack.