Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Polarizer Filters
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:41 pm 
I am considering the purchase of a Hoya 67mm extra thin (5MM) circular polarizer super multi coated glass filter for my Nikon D90 18-105 mm lens and for future use on a 70-300mm lense. I have read that some users find it difficult to use because the knurling is on the front of the filter rather than on the sides and they find it difficult to adjust. Also there was some talk that the nikon lens cap would not go on the lense with this filter in place. I also wonder about the sun shade and if it can be used on the lense with the filter in place. Does anyone have this particular filter and if so have you encountered any problems with it.
Thanks
Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:51 pm 

I'm considering getting a CPL for my Canon 18-200. I guess you can spent as much as you want on a CPL, but what is a decent price for a decent CPL?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:32 pm 
I read somewhere that you shouldn't pay any more than 10-20% of what you payed for the lens. If your a pro you obviously don't care about money, and if you just learning how to use polarizers, i'd say get a cheaper one. The one I have 15 dollar one and it performs fine, but if you want to make sure not to lose image quality, buy a multicoated filter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:48 pm 
I got a Hoya Pro1 CPL from this site, it was a 67mm and was about £45 in all which was much less than other paces (over £100) EDIT> sorry I have removed the link as I think it may be against the house rules. I will repost if allowed. It is at Amazon but don't know how to link so that it registers as a sale from this site (cameralabs)

Post subject: Marumi
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:46 pm 
Anyone heard of them or have you used them?
I found a few things, not a lot..
I am thinking about getting a 77 mm with a 72 to 77 step up ring..
I am going to be using it for a 18-200vr and want to make sure that if/when I get a 70-200 I don't have to buy more circ polarizers
What , if any, are the issues of using a step up ring ?

http://www.lenstip.com/115.1-article-Po ... ction.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:56 pm 

Well, you can't use a lens hood anymore ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:29 am 
hmmm hoood ovver flare.. hmmm
I wasn't considering using the hood if I had the 77mm

any other things I need to think of, or any other advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:39 am 
Hey i recently got my D90 with the 18-105mm kit lens and i currently have the 67mm HOYA pro1 digital UV filter on the lens and the lens cap / hood all still fit perfectly fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:20 pm 

I was for a long time thinking about buying a 72mm CPL for the 18-200mm, but now I wonder if I instead should buy a 77mm one and a step up ring so that I can use it on both the Sigma 10-20mm and the 18-200mm. And should I ever buy the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS, I'll have a CPL for that one too. I realize I cannot use the hood on the 18-200mm.

I guess I need an extra slim filter to avoid vignetting on the 10-20mm?

Is this the best solution do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:05 am 

Anyways.. anyone who knows whether I'll get problems with vignetting with a HOYA PRO1 DMC CPL on the Sigma 10-20mm?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:01 pm 
well i'm in exactly the same situation as you are .. sadly to notice it seems that people don't care much about these 'underdog threads' but just love to discuss about pixel peeping ISO stuff,.. instead. :?
i personally don't think that you will have a problem with the hoya pro1 cpl on a sigma 10-20 as it is an extra thin filter and i guess like all hoya filters made of satisfying quality.
so like nobody else seems to respond i guess it's all about on ourselves and somebody has to take the first step and try it out?! ;)
i also would need the 77mm for a wide angle lens (i'll surely buy later) and need the step up ring for a 72mm standard lens and i think it would be just a waste of money for giving out so much money for filters when having that nice opportunity.. although i'm a little bit sceptical if this really works perfectly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:12 pm 

Joe_AUT wrote:
well i'm in exactly the same situation as you are .. sadly to notice it seems that people don't care much about these 'underdog threads' but just love to discuss about pixel peeping ISO stuff,.. instead. :?

My thoughts exactly.

I've pretty much decided on buying the Hoya 77mm and a step up ring. It seems that, if I'm lucky, I can still use the lens hood on the 18-200mm, but it's gonna be a tight squeeze I think. Maybe too tight. Only time will tell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:02 pm 
yeah .. when you do so i'd really appreciate if you tell me your experiences with the whole combination and what you think of it.
i'm still a bit undecided but time is kinda running out as summer time only is moments away and days are getting brighter and brighter .. where - of course - a polarizer would be a great thing to have :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:09 pm 

Got the filter and the step-up ring yesterday and it works great. I can't fit the lens hood on the Canon 18-200mm and it's pretty hard to adjust the polarizer with the lens hood attached to the Sigma 10-20mm so it's pretty much lens hood off all the way, which I of course expected.
I ran into a little practical problem which I hadn't thought of: I have to use the Sigma 77mm lens cap if I want a lens cap when using the polarizer. That means when I have the 18-200mm attached, the Sigma won't have a lens cap. No big problem; just a little thing to think about
All in all the step-up ring and one filter solution works very well for me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:16 pm 
interesting..
in the meanwhile i managed my own problem by more or less coincidentally getting the 77mm lens and the same fitted polarizer as i'll probably use it just on the ultra wide angle lens for most of the time anyway.
but if i'm planning to get a step-up ring someday which one did you buy? and haven't you noticed any additional vignetting caused by the step-up ring?

EDIT: oh and i didn't quite get the lens cap thing?! why do you need to take the sigma lens cap for both lenses?
EDIT2: :lol: just got it .. you mean if you have your step-up ring attached to your 18-200 lens..