Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Kata 3n1 (Medium)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:40 pm 
I recently bought a Kata 3n1 backpack/slingbag for my trip to DC and now that I am back from my trip and have used it I feel it necessary to review it.

First a picture of the bag:

Let me start off by saying the bag is GREAT! It is very well made and very comfortable.

A word of advice: If you are unsure which size to get, get the largest one you are considering. I was between the 3n1-10 (small) and the 3n1-20 (medium) and boy am I glad I spent the extra money and got the 3n1-20 (medium). This bag is smaller than it looks online.

The bottom compartment of the medium let me fit my Canon 450D (XSi) with the Sigma 18-200mm DC OS attached (with lens hood on), Canon 50mm f1.8 II, dust blower, and memory cards (in the small velcro pouch) with PLENTY of room to spare!

As for the top compartment, I was able to fit the manual, hand sanitizer, external hard drive, and my Gorillapod SLR-Zoom tripod (No, that is not a typo. The Gorillapod SLR- ZOOM fits in the top compartment if you place it diagonally.)

In the small side pockets I was able to put the rain cover (more on this later), the battery charger, and microfiber cloths.

As I said earlier, I used this bag on my trip to DC. While I was there I walked A LOT!!!! The whole time, I had my Kata bag on. There are 3 ways of putting on the bag (sling, X-backpack, backpack). All three methods are very comfortable and the straps and very well padded. However, relative to each other, one way of putting it on is more comfortable than another.
1. Sling (left or right): This is the most uncomfortable of the three because all the weight is on one shoulder. The good thing about it is that your camera is easily accessible by just swinging your bag around.
2. X-Backpack (left strap clips to bottom right and right strap connect to bottom left to form an X across your chest like He-man!): This is the second most comfortable style. It has the benefit of supporting the weight on both shoulders but is less comfortable than wearing it as a regular backpack because the straps cross and can rub on your neck. With this style you can still swing the bag around for easy camera access but you will need to unclip one of the straps first.
3. Backpack: this is the most comfortable method of the three but it does not allow for easy access of your camera by swinging the bag around.

All three methods are made exponentially more comfortable by clipping the small strap that goes around your waist (at the cost of looking goofy).

While I was in DC, I got a chance to test out the waterproof rain cover included with the bag. As I was snapping photos, it started pouring without a single drop of warning! Being that I was out in the open photographing monuments, there was no way I would have made it to cover before having my bag soaking wet (along with the contents in it). Luckily, this bag comes with a waterproof rain cover and so I pulled that out and covered my bag with it. Worked like a charm! None of my equipment got wet inside the bag and the outside of the bag was dry (except for the rain that hit it before I got the rain cover on).

Other things I like about this bag:
1. The handle at the top that lets you carry it by hand. It feels nice and is very comfortable.
2. The yellow inner lining. The fact that it's yellow helps items stand out. This is helpful when looking for something.
3. The velcro compartment system lets you move the small dividers around to fit your needs.

Some things I do not like:
1. Limited number of dividers and very few small dividers. If they included some more small dividers I would have been happier.

Overall I am VERY satisfied with this bag. Anyone considering a backpack/sling type bag would do well to look into this one and see if it is right for them.[/list]

UPDATE: I just purchased a Canon 430EX II flash and Kenko 12mm, 20mm, 36mm extension tube set. I tried fitting it in the bag along with the other things already outlined above and, although I did have to rearrange the compartments, I was able to fit it all.

As of right now, I don't think anything else can fit in the bag while still maintaining the ability to access your camera and other important gear with ease. To fit more I can always place the items in a way that can only be accessed by putting the bag down and opening it up completely but that defeats the purpose of this bag.

Last edited by Hugo on Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the report Hugo!