Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:01 am 
I have a Nikon D90 and am looking for a good basic shoulder or backpack bag in the under $125 range if possible and I would be storing the D90 with all the following extras in it at home,

Nikon D90, Fong Puffer, sb600 flash with stofen diffuser, 70-300vr lens, 50mm prime lens, 18-105vr lens, a few sd cards, monopod, lens hoods spare battery etc.

Eventually I want to get the d90 battery grip and possibly a nice wide lens, but not too much more than I currently own - at least that is what I tell my wife when she asks :).

I am trying to find something large enough to store everything in but also not so large if I scale it down for a quick daytrip I feel as tho I am carrying a huge monster bag.

I tried a slingshot 200 i found at costco for $67 had high hopes for it when i first picked it up, but was a bit snug for the 70-300vr lens no matter where or how i positioned things and the bag itself was TINY (didnt even come close to fitting me) so I returned it the following day.

I dont mind a backpack that is small for me if it has a decent handle to carry it by though...Even with shoulder bags id be carrying it by the handle for the most part probably.

I tried on a lowepro compurover aw it actually fit me great body wise but it was out of my price range and is a darn big bag, I also didnt care for how the camera was stored or how it comes out of the base of the bag.

I sorta like the style of the lowepro compu trekker aw and even found it on ebay for just over $100, but I didn't buy it yet because I wanted to ask here first based on the info above what suggestions or what places you recommend i check out first.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Bill :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:07 am 
I have the Tamrac Expedition 5x and it is a great bag although a little small to get all my gear in. But do you really need to take everything on a shoot? If you want to take absolutely everything you have then get one of the larger Tamrac bags. They are well made and should last years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:10 pm 
how about Lowepro flipside series A200 or A300. the later is bigger, the A200 is just $60. I think it fits your gear well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:34 pm 
Dave16 wrote:
I have the Tamrac Expedition 5x and it is a great bag although a little small to get all my gear in. But do you really need to take everything on a shoot? If you want to take absolutely everything you have then get one of the larger Tamrac bags. They are well made and should last years.

What i was hoping to find was something mid sized that would fit my equipment all in one place at home, and depending on where im going and what i would need id just customize it before i head out (leaving some at home).

But at home here having it all in one bag/place would be really nice.

I do realize if its a backpack style most likely it wont fit me shouldersf or waist wise (most backpacks dont) that compurover aw did fit but thats one big bag, i did run across it for $130 range on ebay tho so still might do it since i know it fits me.

That flipside 300 looks interesting, and seems to have a front handle sorta (cuz i doubt it would fit me), so i might check into that more, this video of it was cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJvGjf-9BOA

If anyone here has a lowepro flipside 300 or 400 can you do me a huge favor and extend the waist belt out to max and give me an aprox measurement?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:10 pm 
I did send a quick message to lowepro will see if they reply with an answer, sayin i had tried a compurover aw and it fit waist shoulder strap wise but was curious if they can tell me would a computrekker plus aw's straps/waist belt be the same length (fit the same) I prefer the trekker style over the rover style.

Also asked what other bags they carry might work based on what they know about my size (being both big and tall) and knowing how the compurover aw fit me.

Worst case ill save up a few $$ and buy a compurover aw since i know it fits, ive hit a few local stores none carry these others (trekker plus, flipside 400 etc) but i might start calling around just to find a store within a 20-30 min ride who might have them IN HAND to try on and see what works best for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:17 pm 
I love my Lowepro Micro Trekker 200

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Micro-Trekker-200,1963,14.htm

I typically carry a 30D with grip, EF70-200, EF50, EF100, EF17-40, EX580 II flash, various cords, cards, filters, a manual, tape, business cards, batteries, and a small pair of binoculars. It's very tough and versatile pack and I highly recommend it.

Good luck,

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:32 pm 
I did go to both tamrac and lowepro's sites and ordered catalogs, i think ill just flip thru those quite a bit, watch a few more youtube clips, maybe call customer service on any minor questions (if i cant find a local store who has them in stock to preview) and eventually (hopefully) find the right bag for me.