Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:32 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:55 am 
I have been reading many reviews and doing some research on finding the right bag for me and my new camera. The Lowepro Nova series has made its way onto my short list, but not without one important question. I'm hoping some of you can help me out.

On Lowepro's website, they have listed several Nova series bags to chose from. But where it gets tricky is how similar some seem to be in their own series (Nova). For example, they have listed Nova 140, 160, 170, 180, 190, & 200AW. But they also have Nova 2, 3, 4, & 5AW listed as well. Looking at the pictures they have, they look darn close. The dimensions are also pretty similar too. My question is, what's the difference? I hope I'm not missing something obvious here, but I'm really curious to know the difference between these.

I am aware that shoulder bags have their negatives, as I'm not looking to get the biggest one. Somewhere in the middle should do me fine to hold what I have now and leave a little room for expansion. Once I get past a few lenses, I'll be looking into a backpack for sure.

Also, if anyone would like to share their experiences with this series of bags, I'd love to hear them. I'm leaning strongly towards one of these bags, just not sure exactly which one. I'm hoping someone can help clarify these model differences to ease my decision.

As always, I appreciate any or all feedback you have. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:20 pm 
I know that the the triple digit models are from a newer line that came out last year. Within each line there definitely are some differences although if you're comparing say...a 140 and 160 it won't be that obvious but it could mean the difference between 1 extra lens. Have a look on Cambags.com for some reviews and pictures as the manufacturer's dimensions can be a bit deceiving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:22 am 
I own the 160 AW, and besides it being a great compact bag, i have a few issues with it:

The bottom of the bag is not padded/sturdy enough. If you so happen to place your SLR face down with the lens attached, be VERY VERY careful not to drop the bag or place it hard on a hard surface. I did mention on another post i got bumped by a lady who dropped my bag only 50cm from the ground and the lens half popped off.

Besides this, i can just fit my 50D+580EX. Of course this was my main purpose as a compact light bag (i own a flipside 300 to fit more things)

Overall its a decent bag, its AW, and should serve your needs if you dont want to carry a chunky bag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:33 am 
Thanks guys for your input.

I'm leaning towards the 190AW. I'm going to see if the camera store has one to look at before I check out at B&H. The 190AW may be too big. Once I have a few lenses and that, I'll get a backpack.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:39 pm 
Thank you for shared information.

I have new DSLR Olympus E-520.
Help me find best lowerpro gadget bag.
http://www.adraycamera.com/lowepro-2.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:32 am 
Well I decided to get the Nova 190AW. Very pleased with it. Anything bigger, I would suggest a backpack. Even with the 190, I would not want to haul it around for a prolonged amount of time. My primary use for the bag is to carry all of my equipment at one time for transport. It does the job very well for what I have.

I am able to fit the following:

D300+16-85 attached, 50mm f/1.8, rocket blower (medium), SB-600, battery charger for camera, AA battery recharger, 12x AA batteries, and a LensPen.

There is still some room left over. Could definitely still fit another small prime in the main compartment, and there is still room for the battery grip if I had one. There is also some room left over in some of the smaller pockets if I wanted to carry some manuals and other miscellaneous items such as business cards.

Overall, I'm very happy with the bag. With the exception of a small prime, if I were in the need to carry more equipment, I would invest in a backpack. As for now, I'll happily carry around the 190.