Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:48 pm 

When I saw the 24" Samsung SyncMaster 245B, 1920x1200, analog/digital (LS24HUBCBQ) and its price, I was quite shocked. Unfortunately I couldn't compare the IQ with my own pics but from what I saw, this monitor is certainly not bad.
Technical data: brightness 400cd/m² • contrast 3000:1 • reaction time 5ms • angle of view 160°/160° • panel TN+film • supports HDCP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:50 pm 

I'm using a Syncmaster 226BW and it's fantastic. It's "only" 22 inches though but I haven't had any problems at all. If there's a negative I'd say it's the power button. It has a great looking blue LED but on a black screen it can be seen slightly bleeding. Why do they put an LED on a power button? It's not hard to tell when the monitor is already switched on, lol.

Otherwise it's been perfect. Very bright, natural colours and even backlighting. For a little while after I first got it I made the mistake of leaving the "MagicColour" feature turned on. I edited some pics with it on and then later after having turned it off, realized the edited pictures were washed out. I haven't repeated the mistake, lol.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:41 pm 

Yeah, Zorro. I think for a normal person without a calibration-device not over-doing it on his/her monitor is pretty difficult. So we really don't know how everybody else is displaying our photos.
That's a shame. The industry should have a standard set-up that is comparable across different monitors!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:23 am 
For a good monitor, am I right in thinking I should be looking for a fast response rate of around 20ms and lower, and a high contrast ratio of + 700:1? I'm just starting to look at monitors and I don't know what brand or what size to get. I think 19-22" will be fine for me and I want widescreen so would I be looking for a resolution of either 1400x1050 or 1600x1200 or does that depend on the size of the screen?

Zorro, your monitor sounds ideal and the one Thomas was talking about sounds amazing!

The monitor is really important so I don't want to make any mistakes or get talked into something that doesn't even come up to the minimum requirements for photographic work.

Can you give me any advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:10 am 
Site Admin

Mark, what's your budget? I can highly recommend the Eizo CG210, a 21in LCD with great tonal and colour performance, but it ain't cheap!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:40 pm 

You'll be very unlucky to find a monitor with a response time as slow as 20ms. My 22" Samsung SM-226BW has a response time of 2ms. I wouldn't be happy with anything slower. Having said that I'm a gamer, if you're not then you'll get away with something a bit slower. Games and videos is where response time matters. For static images it's irrelevant. My native resolution is 1680x1050, which I find is plenty. The higher the better.

Eizo do have a great reputation amongst graphics professionals but they are very expensive, out of my league.

Zorro 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:38 pm 
Thanks Gordon and Zorro,

My budget is only around 750 pounds for a whole customised package so I think the Eizo my be a bit out of my range once everything else is accounted for. It's such a coincidence, but after reading this thread and posting my message, the Samsung SM-226BW was listed as the monitor included in the deal I'm considering. I've done more research since and I can see I was way off base with my 20ms and 700:1 contrast ratio. 2ms and 3000:1 is much more like it :D I do like playing the odd game or 2 too, so I can see why refresh rate is important now.

Once I've decided on the package, I'll let you know and thanks again.
Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:03 pm 

Hi Mark,

I started this thread, because I wanted you to know that you can get 24" HD-resolution for surprisingly little cash.
Soooo, if you're not on a too thight budget, consider, what you can gain in resolution and size with such a monitor.
And the current street price is down to below 500EUR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:52 am 
Hi Thomas,

Yeah and I'm so glad that I read this thread and learned about the gorgeous Samsung monitors. I read a review of it on trustedreviews.com and they gave it 9/10.

It is so tempting to go bigger and bigger and I think if I was just looking at buying a monitor on its own without the whole PC package I probably would go for the 24in. As it is, I've already increased the package I want from 1gb to 2gb RAM, an Intel Pentium D to the Core 2 Duo along with a more expensive compatible motherboard and the hard drive from 160gb to 250gb so I really have to draw the line with the monitor at 22in as that's the most expensive component.

For me, looking forward to using a 22in monitor is really exciting! My current one is 15in so that's a pretty big leap as it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:31 am 

Going from a 15" 4:3 to a 22" 16:10 will be awesome for you!

I can thoroughly recommend the Syncmaster 226BW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:27 am 
Cheers Zorro, I did finally go for the package including the 226BW and yeah, it will be totally awesome. I'm so looking forward to the new setup, I feel like a kid at Christmas :D

One question for you. Do you know anything about the 226bw and the business with the 3 different panel versions? S, A and C with S being the best followed by A and C. There's an article here about it:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/673- ... 6bw-c.html
I asked when I ordered specifying that I wanted the S panel version, but they ust said that all the panels are the same now, something like that. I assume as you're in the UK you got an S panel so it doesn't affect you, but I'm really hoping I don't have any problems with mine and I'm worrying about nothing.

I'll let you know in a few days!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:19 pm 

I got the S panel. I know of the problems though but I think it's mostly in the head. It all started when the initial reviews were out because all review panels were designated as S, but then there was a review with an A panel and that review wasn't so good. People concluded that the A panels were somehow inferior. I'm not sure myself, never having seen anything but my own, but I doubt there's any real difference between them. Besides, you'll have an opportunity to check it out when you get it and if it seems inferior you can return it. Who are you buying from? Are you buying by Credit Card? If so you have no worries.

Zorro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:26 pm 

In my beloved german price-engine there are over 130 entries for the 226BW and no single says anything about different sorts of panels!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:02 pm 

tombomba2 wrote:
In my beloved german price-engine there are over 130 entries for the 226BW and no single says anything about different sorts of panels!

Of course not. Why would Samsung deliberately set out to give an impression of reduced quality in individual markets?

Zorro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:05 pm 

Here's a thread all about it. This is the retailer I bought mine from.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showth ... t=17689111

It's a long read.

Zorro.