Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:38 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:01 pm 

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm sure that Bob will move it if he thinks it's the wrong one ;)

Anyway, I've purchased a Spyder2 Express recently and have tried to calibrate my monitor. Since I'm on Linux, I'm unable to use the supplied software and have to rely instead on an open source implementation called ArgyllCMS. I've read a few blogs and articles on the web stating that ArgyllCMS works fine with the Spyder2 Express, and after experimenting it does run and I get an ICC/ICM profile at the end of it.

Now my question is, is that the right profile? It seems to pump the contrast and darkens (reduces the gamma?) the display, making colours seem darker and more "rich". This seems to mirror my experience when printing photos as most of my prints appear much darker than what I see on my monitor. But is it correct? Do most calibrated displays appear darker and more contrasty?

I'm almost tempted to install Windows just to check this out.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:11 pm 

pgtips wrote:
This seems to mirror my experience when printing photos as most of my prints appear much darker than what I see on my monitor.

I don't know bout photography realy but in this case i do somehow we used it when i aplied part time in one of photo printing store thats what calibrating means! the reality when you print your picture.

(experience) in making invitations, programs and any printing materials we used it to show to the costomer what exactly their request and we can't rely on test print cause thats cost much here'' so we need that prog.

Quote:
I'm almost tempted to install Windows just to check this out

No don't do that you will have exact color its your monitor being calibrated not the program...[/quote]

My Blog!! http://loymercsclick.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:57 pm 

I found out what the issue is.

There's this attachment that I thought was just a protective casing. Turns out, it's also a green-ish filter that you need in order to correctly colour calibrate LCD monitors. Without it, it gets confused when calibrating LCDs and thus I had a really dark and greenish hue on my screen.

Now my monitor looks perfect :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:04 am 

i've just bought a samsung P2350 monitor and I'm worried it isn't calibrated correctly. I've just started biddin on a spyder 2 express and hopefully it will come good once use that.

Canon film SLR EOS 1000f w EF 35-80mm f/4.5-5.6 & EF 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6mm

Wish List:
Canon 60mm f/2.8 macro

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theresas_diaries/