Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:11 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:49 pm 

Sounds good, Gordon, here's a few things I look for in a printer.

-Speed of high quality printing.
-Network connectivity. (This is a big one, I have several PCs throughout the house and need to be able to print from all of them.)
-If it has scanning, faxing, or other features built in.
-Card readers built in is a nice feature.
-Cost of ink.
-And mostly, quality of print.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:55 am 
Shagrath wrote:
...here's a few things I look for in a printer.

Hi Shagrath,

Considering your post I'll recommend you a serious look at the Brother's range.
They have very good multifunction.
Maybe some issues in quality on plain paper. Followed by HP (I think best results on plain paper, the micro-piezzo always not so good as inkjet on plain paper)
Canon recently also launched a new range of multifunction, but I guess it's not so network oriented, and the network options from Canon are pricey.
Lexmark I guess it's out of question... but Xerox made some progress (depend on the region/country), more oriented to office stuff, though.

cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:55 pm 

Hello Gordon,

This is a fine idea! Here are four different segments I would like to see:

Hardware: Size of printer(trays collapsed and trays fully extended), things not included(USB Cable, Small screen, etc.), buttons/control layout(if any), number of inks. Dye or inkjet or... laser? Probably not applicable to us.

Software: Installation(the hunt for drivers, extra software included), Mac vs PC vs Other(see ASUS netbook OS). This could be very short, "Installation was a snap!" or "After a bit of a tussle, I finally got the right driver." or even, "The extra software is hogwash!"

Output: Dots Per Inch comparisions, speed of output, glossy vs matte vs semi gloss(maybe) finish paper. Perhaps canvas! Quality of prints(4x6-XxX depending on printer).

Pricing: Cost of printer and ink, this can get a bit dicey. Annual/Quarterly average cost or a per print amount. Paper size, and type of photograph really throw in some variables... :|

But I really hope this pans out. The quality of your reviews are great. Down to earth and realistic.

Daniel

danielmcglaughlin.com
Nikon D80 · Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF
Sigma Foveon sensor fan... future owner, promise!
flickr me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:11 pm 
joseluissc wrote:
Shagrath wrote:
...here's a few things I look for in a printer.

Hi Shagrath,

Considering your post I'll recommend you a serious look at the Brother's range.
They have very good multifunction.
Maybe some issues in quality on plain paper. Followed by HP (I think best results on plain paper, the micro-piezzo always not so good as inkjet on plain paper)
Canon recently also launched a new range of multifunction, but I guess it's not so network oriented, and the network options from Canon are pricey.
Lexmark I guess it's out of question... but Xerox made some progress (depend on the region/country), more oriented to office stuff, though.

cheers,

From my experience the Brother consumer line is not the best in the world, but no where near as bad as the Lexmark ones, although the Canon ones seem to be the best around at the moment, i have just bought a Canon iP4600, which is just an inkjet printer, which i am VERY pleased with! The running cost is very small, and the prints look just the same in quality terms, maybe slightly better, as some photos i had printed out at a photo lab!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:11 pm 
please do include the quality of the photo paper... cause there are lots of printer if you buy ink the photo paper is included... :wink:

and the portable printer too its handy and cute...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:32 am 
What is the best printer paper to use for black and white inkjet prints from a epson 4800 printer? In the past in the wet darkroom, I have used Illford Pearl B&W paper along with 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 contrast filters. I love what I get with that combo. Any suggestions about inkjet printer paper to get a truely great black and white print?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:33 am 

It's a while since this idea was first raised, and it becomes relevant, each time one of us needs to replace a weary printer. For me the questions I want to know are:
1. what printer technology
2. What price range
3. What target market (home/pro/in between)
4. Cost and longevity of consumables
5. Quality of images (do they look as good as laboratory prints)
6. Footprint (how much space do they take up)
7. Noise/vibration
8. Expected service life
9. Able to be serviced (or regarded as disposable)
10. Ability to be calibrated
11. Paper handling
12. Longevity of inks
13. I am sure there are more ...

Should I buy an Epson? Canon? HP? Other?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:18 am 

Hi Brian
As I see this thread is asleep for about a year now, it's still pertinent and interesting, but I think that I understand now why the ideea about printer reviews has stalled.
I've done some reading on the net on the topic, and I'm still with big gaps in knowledge I'm afraid.
From what I've learned I understand that, in order to have an output at the same quality standard that our pictures are taken, even with an entry level camera and lenses, one has to invest about the same order of magnitude in printing gear and consumables if not more.
I've visided some printing shops and net based printing services and found only one locally, used by proffesionals, that can do a decent job and not the automated printing mill where the output quality is anybody's guess. From those you can download their printer profiles and, provided you have calibrated your display and have software that has soft proofing, you can have decent prints that are close to what you see on your computer. I strongly suspect that it's more productive, less time consuming not to mention cheaper, to use such a service (that has to exist anywhere where there are proffesional photographers) than to print your photos at home.
Those that I found, even come to your home and calibrate your display for you.For about $150 those give you a 3 day 9 hour hands on workshop in their lab, where they teach you all you have to know about printing proffesional photographs and how to best use THEIR services of course :-).
I think that one can find such a a service almost anywhere (not sure about McMurdoch station in Antarctica though :-) ) in the world.

Canon580EXII
http://www.errre.net