Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lightroom Questions
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:13 am 
In lightroom the program seems to show file 125 say as NEF+Jpeg. Is there a way of it showing only Nef or Only Jpeg , or NEF|Jpeg like in NX2?? I want to batch edit Metadata but it seems to be editing the NEF metadata and not the Jpeg. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:14 pm 

Sorry Greg, I've mostly given up on auto-stacking jpg+NEF in LR1/LR2 as I only shoot RAW. But I know there is a switch in the options/presets menu in the tab "Import" where you can select whether LR treats JPGs and RAWs as seperate images. I have this one selected.
Perhaps that might help you.
If you stack a jpg+NEF together later on and have this option selected the number "2" in the upper left corner shows that you have 2 images stacked together and you can open and close the stack to view (and work upon) the individual images.
But in a closed stack changing the meta data only works on the top image of the stack! If you want to change tags for all images in the stack you have to open the stack, select all images in the stack, and than change the data.

Last edited by Thomas on Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:19 pm 

But let me add another question of my own:
I see different behaviour in the diashow module of LR1 and LR2 with respect to images that are smaller than the screen:
- LR1 magnifies all smaller images up to the borders given in the template for the slideshow :)
- LR2 does not magnify smaller images at all :(
And there is no switch in LR2 to toggel this behaviour.
Or has any body found anything?

Last edited by Thomas on Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:24 pm 
If i got it right, and you want only uor NEF's or JPG's, then you can go under Library -> Find -> (TEXT:) Filename - Ends With -> (in the search:) .jpg / .nef
It works when i want to seperate the arw.'s from the rest :)

So under Library (Up with File, Edit etc.), you choose "Find". Then you choose "Filename" and "Ends With", and then type in whatever type of file you need to find. :D
Hope this helped.

0eyvind

PS. This is LR 2, not sure if it's the same as LR 1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:09 pm 

If you wonder, why smaller images* are no longer magnified to fit the screen in the slideshow of LR2: this is a feature, not a bug :evil:
I asked at Adobe support, why this was not working exactly as in Lightroom1. The first answer was pure BS, but then they admitted that they left this feature out in LR2.
I was directed to a web-page where you can enter your wishes and promptly did so. Anyone feeling with me tell them, what you need:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/ind ... e=wishform
Perhaps some wished do come true! Although to be honest I don't expect this to become true X-Mas 2008 :(

-------
*by "smaller images" I mean images smaller than your screen resolution. Those images are now only displayed at 100% magnification and cannot fill the screen under any circumstances :cry:

Last edited by Thomas on Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:58 pm 
Thomas, do you mean Lightroom cannot upscale smaller images? Honestly, I've never had the need for such a feature and I didn't even know it existed in LR1 but I can guess that it would be a great for slideshows?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:34 pm 

You can upscale (>100%) in the library- and the development-modules of both LR1 and LR2. But only LR1 can upscale in the slideshow-module - LR2 cannot.
Funny though that there is a function called "zoom to fill frame" in LR1+LR2. But that is only ment to make the image fill the frame in both dimensions while normally only one dimension is scaled to fill the frame. But with LR2 not even one dimension fills the frame if that requires enlarging. Wonder what they did in the printing module?
-----2 minutes later-----
Aha, the printing module can easily enlarge to "fill the frame" :)

Last edited by Thomas on Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:39 pm 
Sorry if this sounds dumb but what's the diashow?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:09 pm 

Oops, sorry: In English this is the slideshow!
Corrected all the offending terminology :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:06 am 
Haha ok! I was wondering what Adobe had cheated me out of. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:18 pm 

Oops, found another "speciality" in LR2:
I had just flagged out some images as "rejected" because they turned up in a "smart-collection" but didn't belong there: They were some jpgs without any additional development so I just wanted to keep the corresponding NEF-file.
1. pitfall: if you've identified an image for deletion in your LR collection and do the right-click-boogie: There's no option to delete the image from the data-base or the computer. This has to be done in the "Folders" section of LR. You can only "remove from collection" in the collection section.
2. pitfall: now I though "easy" just select your top folder (like "images") and then set the filter to "rejected photos only" to see the ones I've marked "rejected". Well, no luck then :shock: I searched and searched and found out that the filter does not show stacked photos that are not top-of-the-stack :cry: So for this search/filter to work, you have to first expand all your stacks (which might be your whole database if you're stacking JPGs with NEFs) :shock: :( :cry:

Now some call this a feature - but I call this a bug :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:58 pm 

Latest update to version 2.2 did not fix the "not able to magnify >100% in the slideshow"-bug :(