Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:17 pm 
Hello.
I'm still very new in the DSLR world, and also new in post processing.
Currently i have PS CS3 available on my dads computer, but i don't really know how to use it. Else than the stuff i can do in lightroom.
And i was wondering how all you guys learned it?

0eyvind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:28 pm 

Look on the internet for random tutorials. There's a lot of good ones out there. Otherwise just experiment, if you dont try, you never learn.

Canon EOS 400D + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8
My Photos - My webpage (danish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:44 pm 

good old trial-and-error... but i would not recommend using this approach too often as it's very time consuming... better to find articles or publications on the software you'll be using.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:05 pm 
I bought a set of video tutorials.
Watched them all !

Then i bought some magazines where they showed a before/after set of images and how they did it.

Then pretty much learned myself by trial and error.
Posting your result here on Cameralabs for feedback is a very good way to get constructive critisism.

I recently found out how useful Adobe Camera RAW really is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:22 pm 
Ohhh how i learned about Photoshop?

Well it all started about 8 years ago really, in highschool i took a web digital design course where i was first introduced to the software (the 6.0 version) and then i just never giving it up, started out just messing around with it, then drawing stuff. Then i took a break from it, but at the same time i got my DSLR i got into it again, and did another course at the "community collage" so to speak while i was working and studying at Uni

And now i just watch tutorials and etc on the internet, and then i have subscribed to some podcasts etc to keep going

thats how i learned using it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:29 pm 
For me (and I'm still learning) it was a combination of messing around with it and having a look at the massive amounts of info available on the net. If you have a specific idea of what you want to achieve, it's highly probable that you'll find some sort of tutorial for it.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:20 am 
Trial and error with the help of some guides on the internet for me. Very rarely do guides have exactly what I want so they seem to have limited use for me(probably just me) but you can always take the knowledge gain from one tutorial and apply it to other areas in PS.

Take some time to mess around with it and you will pick it up eventually. Patience is key, I started last year and am now reasonably proficient. I still probably take 2-3 times longer than I should to get anything done. :D I'm working on it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:29 am 
Just playing around and experimenting with what different combinations of filters and effects do and how it all works together. As said above, trial and error and hopefully a little success too :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:46 am 
trial and error... more error

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:19 am 
for all those that mentioned tutorials, how about helping the poster and actually giving them a link :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:36 am 

Google for "Photoshop Workflow" you will get plenty of sites including plenty of very good You Tube videos

I found this site pretty good too

http://www.dphotojournal.com/category/tutorials/

Canon EOS 30/33 and Pentax MX/ME Super
Rollei 35S

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:27 pm 
i learned a lot of what i know through playing with just random things, but to get started and figuring out some buttons and a little comedy too, go here
http://www.mydamnchannel.com/ and click "You Such at Photoshop" winner of the 2008 Webby awards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:32 pm 
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
for all those that mentioned tutorials, how about helping the poster and actually giving them a link :P

www.google.com

:wink:

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:44 pm 

Gregory.Rotter wrote:

There are quite a few on You Tube as well.

Canon 1000D & kit lens, 55-250 & 50mm 1.8
Canon Ixus 60

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:19 pm 
Thanks for all the help :D Helped me a lot. And i messed around, and i really did an error. It's driving me nuts! I can't change tool really, it shows the hand tool all the time. And i can't seem to solve it. Have any of you ever experienced that?

0eyvind