Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Compatability.....
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:11 pm 

i am probably being really stupid, but i cant get a definitive anwer from searchiong the web, soooo....... help people! :shock:
do the photoediting programs generaly support Nikon NEF files? specifically Adobe CS3, Lightroom, Elements etc?
all i find is "supports over.....file formats"
never specific :?
just looking at buying some software but cant get a definitive yay or nay!
thx people :)

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27747651@N04/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:47 pm 
Depends a little on what OS you're running but you should have got software with your camera to use Nikon RAW files. OS X supports Nikon RAW out of the box, not sure about Windows. You might need additional software for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:26 pm 

Lightroom does not support in camera settings for NEFs, it can support the format though, so you'll have to process all your NEFs in lightroom.

not sure about Photoshop though, but you will definitely need 'Camera RAW' to read the NEFs in Photoshop, not sure if it will read the in camera settings of the NEFs though.

so in conclusion, they all should read your NEFs (provided you have 'Camera RAW' installed for Photoshop), but probably not as well as software designed specifically for NEF files such as Nikon's Capture NX 2.

B.T.W... i trashed Lightroom for Capture NX 2 because of Lightroom's annoying act of stripping all in-camera settings. If Lightroom did not do this, I probably would have stayed with it, but...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:38 am 
Lightroom doesn't support the in-camera settings Adobe is working on it. Have a look at this thread: http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8167.

Phil Lee has linked to the download page of Adobe's custom camera profiles that are still in beta. They help a great deal IMO, definitely worth a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:49 pm 

Lightroom strips what?

It tells me the exact name of my lenses (Canon ones anyway), focal length, and all the other data.

No idea about Nikon though - suppose they just had to make it difficult eh ;)

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:35 pm 

DD_nVidia wrote:
Lightroom strips what?

It tells me the exact name of my lenses (Canon ones anyway), focal length, and all the other data.

No idea about Nikon though - suppose they just had to make it difficult eh ;)

I'm talking about in-camera settings, not EXIF data...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:34 am 
LR removes any image optimisations done in-camera. Saturation, contrast, sharpening etc are all gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:58 am 

grahamnp wrote:
LR removes any image optimisations done in-camera. Saturation, contrast, sharpening etc are all gone.

... yup, that's what i mean when i'm talking about in-camera settings.

funny thing though, yesterday i started using lightroom again... but only for organising... it's a few extra steps, but now that i have a much faster comp, it's not a problem for me anymore... i'm using the exact same procedure as Thomas has mentioned in this thread

to quote him...

"This is a very common problem. Here's what I'm doing:
1. Only shoot in RAW (no jpegs)
2. Transfer to disk, tag, catalogue in LR
3. Edit in CNX, generate jpgs from edited RAWs
4. Stack the NEF plus the edited jpg in LR
5. Print from CNX
It's a little hassle, but with over 10,000 images I don't want to miss the capabilities of LR in managing this."

...end quote.

... as they say, 'No free lunch!' :roll: