Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:55 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:53 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:30 pm
Posts: 9805
Location: UK
Hi folks,

Photoshop CS4 has arrived in both the extended and standard editions. The links to the product pages are Adobe® Photoshop® CS4 and Adobe® Photoshop® CS4 Extended.

Bob.

_________________
Olympus OM-D E-M1 + M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8, Lumix 7-14mm f/4, Leica DG Summilux 15mm f/1.7 ASPH, M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8, M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8.
Leica D Vario-Elmar 14mm-150mm f/3.5 - f/5.6 ASPH.
OM-D E-M5, H-PS14042E, Gitzo GT1541T, Arca-Swiss Z1 DP ball-head.
Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.


Last edited by Bob Andersson on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 12:48 pm
Posts: 8022
Location: UK
Only just saw this elsewhere, this is the first version to support GPU usage for some functions. So maybe anyone building a box for CS4 might want to look harder in that department too, although it might be an idea to wait and see how much faster GPUs compare against more CPU power first.

Also 64 bit support in Vista.

I wonder if they'll include this in Elements 7 too :p

_________________
Canon DSLRs: 7D, 5D2, 1D, 600D, 450D full spectrum, 300D IR mod
Lenses: EF 35/2, 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 135/2+SF, 28-80 V, 70-300L, 100-400L, TS-E 24/3.5L, MP-E 65, EF-S 15-85 IS
3rd party: Zeiss 2/50 makro, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300 f/2.8 OS, Celestron 1325/13
Tinies: Sony HX9V.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:06 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:30 pm
Posts: 9805
Location: UK
Hi folks,

Trusted Reviews have just published a beta preview of Photoshop CS4 which you can read here. I think some of the UI improvements alone are enough to tempt me into an upgrade from CS2 despite Adobe's continued trans-Atlantic price differentials. :evil:

Bob.

_________________
Olympus OM-D E-M1 + M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8, Lumix 7-14mm f/4, Leica DG Summilux 15mm f/1.7 ASPH, M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8, M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8.
Leica D Vario-Elmar 14mm-150mm f/3.5 - f/5.6 ASPH.
OM-D E-M5, H-PS14042E, Gitzo GT1541T, Arca-Swiss Z1 DP ball-head.
Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:20 am 
Photoshop CS4 looks like a significant upgrade. What's this Potoshop you speak of Bob? :D


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:56 am 
popo wrote:
Only just saw this elsewhere, this is the first version to support GPU usage for some functions. So maybe anyone building a box for CS4 might want to look harder in that department too, although it might be an idea to wait and see how much faster GPUs compare against more CPU power first.


If Apple's CoreImage technology is anything to go by (they do image tranformations/filters on the GPU), then the performance difference is going to be huge. My video card 40 execution units (think processor "cores") and that will no doubt smoke by decently spec'ed dual-core CPU. Granted, the execution units on your GPU are not fully featured CPUs, so you can forget about running general purpose programs on them. However, they are designed for one thing: high speed pixel and vector operations which is exactly what image processing is all about.

Quote:
I wonder if they'll include this in Elements 7 too :p


I hope they will because that would be pure awesome sauce.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:20 pm 
I wonder how well the GPU acceleration will run under lesser GPUs and whether the difference is noticeable. I hope it works good on my 8600m GT. That and multi-touch would make it quite a significant upgrade.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:41 pm 
Interesting CS4...

recently i just started to wonder about the whole CS idea, before it was just called PS...and now its PSCS3 or CS4...just a little side track there

I m going to look into this area, i sure like to keep my PS up to date so to speak, but sometimes the upgrades are just to big and you end up getting lost with the new softwares.

I honestly dont know alot about the 64 vs 32 vista, but i got the 32 one at the moment, how will CS4 work with that?


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:21 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:30 pm
Posts: 9805
Location: UK
grahamnp wrote:
Photoshop CS4 looks like a significant upgrade. What's this Potoshop you speak of Bob? :D

Whoops. :oops: Actually, Potoshop isn't a bad nime for it but to sove myself from furter well-desarved rubbing I've corrocted the tipic tutle. :wink:

Bob.

_________________
Olympus OM-D E-M1 + M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8, Lumix 7-14mm f/4, Leica DG Summilux 15mm f/1.7 ASPH, M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8, M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8.
Leica D Vario-Elmar 14mm-150mm f/3.5 - f/5.6 ASPH.
OM-D E-M5, H-PS14042E, Gitzo GT1541T, Arca-Swiss Z1 DP ball-head.
Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:37 pm 
grahamnp wrote:
I hope it works good on my 8600m GT.


Assume you have a 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo. Each core can do 4 floating point operations (FLOP) per clock tick. 4 x 2.0 Ghz = 8 Giga FLOPS. With two cores, you're looking at a maximum performance of 16 Giga FLOPS. Assuming SSE optimised code, this doubles to 32 Giga FLOPS maximum theoritical performance.

In contrast, your 8600M GT has 32 stream processors and produces a theoretical 91.2 Giga FLOPS.

Even though these are peak performance numbers, which means you'll rarely ever see them unless you're running specialized software on specialized datasets, you're still looking at potentially 3x better performance by offloading image processing tasks to your GPU.

Just for kicks, I looked up the GeForce 9800 GTX+ and that does 705 (!!) Giga FLOPS :D


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:48 am 
Bob Andersson wrote:
grahamnp wrote:
Photoshop CS4 looks like a significant upgrade. What's this Potoshop you speak of Bob? :D

Whoops. :oops: Actually, Potoshop isn't a bad nime for it but to sove myself from furter well-desarved rubbing I've corrocted the tipic tutle. :wink:

Bob.


:lol: :lol: :lol: Took me a while!

pgtips wrote:
grahamnp wrote:
I hope it works good on my 8600m GT.


Assume you have a 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo. Each core can do 4 floating point operations (FLOP) per clock tick. 4 x 2.0 Ghz = 8 Giga FLOPS. With two cores, you're looking at a maximum performance of 16 Giga FLOPS. Assuming SSE optimised code, this doubles to 32 Giga FLOPS maximum theoritical performance.

In contrast, your 8600M GT has 32 stream processors and produces a theoretical 91.2 Giga FLOPS.

Even though these are peak performance numbers, which means you'll rarely ever see them unless you're running specialized software on specialized datasets, you're still looking at potentially 3x better performance by offloading image processing tasks to your GPU.

Just for kicks, I looked up the GeForce 9800 GTX+ and that does 705 (!!) Giga FLOPS :D


I like those statistics! Can't wait for the trial, thanks pgtips.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:14 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:08 pm
Posts: 7923
Location: Germany
HDR, panorama stitching, extended depth of field.
Hmmm, yummy :D
As to the use of graphics-cards power: that seems to be limited to the ability to the new 3D models manipulation and rendering. Not sure who is going to use that!?
As the price for the extended student-version in Germany is 200EUR I'm currently thinking of starting the PS-adventure with this version...

_________________
Thomas (beware: Nikon-fanboy and moderator!) My Lens Reviews, My Pictures, My Photography Blog
D800+assorted lenses


Last edited by Thomas on Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:57 am 
Thomas wrote:
As to the use of graphics-cards power: that seems to be limited to the ability to the new 3D models manipulation and rendering.


That's not correct. See http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/adobe-cs4-review.ars/4 for more information.

OpenGL is used to accelerate window drawing and the reviewer noted that CS4 was snappier than CS3, even large images draw faster on his Macbook Pro.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:08 pm
Posts: 1626
Location: New York, US
The implementation of GPU processing means that windows will draw faster, and effects will process smoothly. It basically takes a load off the CPU, using your graphics card to process the graphical effects. It's a lot more efficient to leave that sort of thing to the GPU.

I think this means that if you zoom in really far there will be less lag than before, assuming you have a graphics card.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All words, images, videos and layout, copyright 2005-2012 Gordon Laing. May not be used without permission.
/ How we test / Best Cameras / Advertising / Camera reviews / Supporting Camera Labs

Webdesign by Alphabase IT
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group