Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:14 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:58 pm 
Hi guys
Any comments from experience on which is better, because i am not sure which to get!
Aperature is less expensive and looks like it has great full screen editing which really appeals to me.
Although i originallyused lightroom which i liked, i am not sure which one to go for!
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:06 pm 
Your profile lists a Dell Inspiron. Aperture works only on Macs, so unless you have a Mac, Lightroom is your only choice.

I personally find Aperture and Lightroom to be so similar that it doesn't really matter which one you end up using. They're both good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:12 pm 
Hi
I am currently running osx on my Dell, if you don't understand visit the os x 86 project!
I am also planning on buying an imac, soon!
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:19 am 
I prefer the interface of Lightroom and it seems to run faster on my MacBook Pro (yes, the Apple program runs slower on their hardware :? ). I thought LR was lacking in some areas and was missing some features that Aperture had but the V2 of LR seems to have improved a lot and I think it is superior to Aperture now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:41 am 
Photoshopn cs4 was announced today ? that would be a reallly, really good choice ! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:54 pm 
@grahamnp
Yeh i sorta see what you mean, i think i might download both trials and see which one i prefer!

@danny boy
Nah, i am not into heavy editing, and lightroom, which i had before, had all the things i needed and more! I also have a old version of photoshop on my other PC which i can used if i really want to do that sort of thing!

Thanks
For your replys
Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:37 pm 
Well i can only recommend Lightroom. It is awsome for small-stuff editing (Like you i'm not into heavy-editing. Maybe becuase i haven't really learned it ;)), as it's really fast and easy to do it. AND you don't ruin the original file, as changes get stored in Metadata. You'r history list will stay there the whole time. You don't need to save, it will keep ALL of your changes revertable. At least i haven't reached the limit yet.

+ It is a GREAT organizer. Really, highly recommended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:49 pm 
I've spent a lot of time with Lightroom (1 and 2) and some time with Aperture 2. I must say, I prefer Lightroom. I'm mainly interested in Lightroom for the image management tools and I just think Lightroom is far more straightforward. It's possible that Aperture may be a little more powerful on that front but it's just not obvious and the million different types of folders/binders/albums is just confusing. Lightroom has a much more obvious workflow and I think you can't go wrong with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:15 pm 
I personally choose lightroom just because of the way it organizes images. I hate the way apple's aperture and iphoto wants you to keep your images locked up into its own image library format, i want it to be open and stored in files not locked up.

BTW i just discovered the 'F' Key which puts lightroom into full screen mode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:44 pm 
How about when it comes to "highlight and shadow recovery"? Which do you guys prefer? And why?

I read an article in Professional Photographer magazine. They asked two "experts" from the US to use one of the two softwares (Lightroom or Aperture) and see what they could do with the same file to recover the highlights/shadows. Lightroom came out ahead. Or at least that user got the best results using Lightroom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:31 am 

I like lightroom.

but i gotta say one thing that bugs me majorly.

Loading images, the thumbnails, previews, full size, all take to long, and the wee things that tell you if they are editited, cropped etc. dont load until you let the thumbnail display for a halfsecond to a second. I really dont want to wait why cant it just come up as im scrolling.

Instead I have to scroll, stop, scroll stop and so on.

No idea what i could do to speed this up because the quad core downstairs does it too. maybe hard drive - ram access time os faster hard drive or raid, but i've no idea.

Lightrooms noise reduction is ok, but im unimpressed with my new camera in comparison to other low noise examples i've seen.

OS x 86 - loving it. The Mac OS handles some things so much faster, even on slower computers, than XP or Vista. XP was never built to handle massive amounts of photos etc. natively, and Vista, well its just to slow haha.

So maybe my problems with Lightroom, although pretty silly, may not even be present in Lightroom 2.2 on the Mac, in which case, get it downloaded!

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:36 am 
Lightroom slows down by a huge amount as your hard disk fills up. I've seen 50% free space as the recommended amount for Lightroom to run at it's fastest but I suppose you can get away with less if you've got a bigger hard disk. It's not very practical but try it, it works.

Also, render 1:1 previews, that speeds it up too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:09 am 
Come on guys! I'm sure you have all used Lightroom and probably a few other programs in attempts to recover highlights and shadows. Do you find Lightroom to be the best? More so than Aperture 2.0? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:58 am 
If recovering highlights and shadows is important, Capture NX does that extremely well since you're a Nikon user. Between LR and Aperture there isn't that much of a difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:27 pm 
grahamnp wrote:
If recovering highlights and shadows is important, Capture NX does that extremely well since you're a Nikon user. Between LR and Aperture there isn't that much of a difference.

Thanks for commenting Graham. Do you use Capture NX2? I might upgrade to NX2 later and give that a try and compare it with Aperture 2.0...before considering Lightroom 2.0.