Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:40 am 
I'm going to be buying a laptop by the end of the month and I'll be needing some good software.
What really interests me and I'd love to get into is HDR images, so I thought I'd buy a copy of CS3 since it contains pretty much everything I'll ever need. Problem is, the retail version costs an arm and a leg and for some reason you need to be a student to buy the student edition. :roll: I did find a copy called "Photoshop CS3 Extended Education" which unlike the student edition doesn't seem to list any requirements to buying and running. (e.g. you need to be a student and provide proof of current enrollment.)
Can someone tell me if there are any requirements to buying and running this version? Or could someone recommend some other software that can handle HDR and camera raw?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:16 am 
Adobe Lightroom is an affordable solution.

Lightroom + Photomatix Pro 3 is a great combination.

I use Photoshop with my HDRs. If I have a Jpeg image, I'll open it in Photoshop and adjust the tones and save individual files until I've covered the tonal range in that shot.

Then I import all the shots into Photomatix and generate/tone-map the HDRi.

You don't necessarily need CS3 either. CS2 or even CS will be fine, but in my opinion, Photomatix is the program to have for HDRs.

Best,
-Sean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:20 am 
Thanks for the reply Sean, Lightroom may be a little too expensive for me. I've set myself a limit of AUD$400 on software because I'd like to start saving for some new lenses among other things. :D
Photomatix Pro 3.0 sounds good, but what happens if you get a virus and lose everything on your computer before backing it up. Can you redownload the software for free or would you need to pay for it again? (I've never really paid for online software.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:28 am 
Devious wrote:
Thanks for the reply Sean, Lightroom may be a little too expensive for me. I've set myself a limit of AUD$400 on software because I'd like to start saving for some new lenses among other things. :D
Photomatix Pro 3.0 sounds good, but what happens if you get a virus and lose everything on your computer before backing it up. Can you redownload the software for free or would you need to pay for it again? (I've never really paid for online software.)

I've never had that experience so I wouldn't be the best person to answer that.

But I will say that your best bet would be to contact Photomatix or HDRsoft, whatever their name is, and talk to them personally. I'm sure they'd do something...