Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: How do I get to info?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:49 am 
This may seem like a silly question, but how you can see all of the shooting information (such as aperature, shutter speed, iso, etc.) once you've imported your pictures from the camera to your computer. I'm currently shooting Large Fine JPEGs, and I just can't figure out where this information is stored... Is it somehow embedded in the JPEG file itself and you need a program to bring it out, or do you need to shoot NEF to have access to this information? Also, once you've already imported your pictures to your computer, if you HAVEN'T used Lightroom, or a similar program to import them, is this information somehow lost, or is it still in there somewhere?

I'd really appreciate some insight on this cause I'm really puzzled, and this information will obviously be invaluable in helping me to assess my technique and improve.

Thanks!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:41 am 
The information that you are talking about is called the exif data. It is saved in the jpeg file and you don't need any programs to access it. If you are using windows all you have to do is:

1. Right click on the file you want the information of
2. Go to the bottom of the list it gives you and choose Properties
3. When the window comes up click on the Summary tab
4. Towwards the bottom you will see " Advanced >>" all you have to do is click on this button and Voila! Exif data.

Most post proccessing programs have ways to view the exif data aswell but will probably be different for each. So if there's one you like to use, while its open hit F1 and search for exif data and it will tell you what you can do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:41 pm 
When i didn't have Lightroom or a DSLR, i just right-clicked on the image in Explorer, and then clicked properties. You should be able to find it there.
And if you're shooting RAW, then (at least on my computer) then i just need to mouse over the picture and then everything is there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:18 pm 

A very nice tool to dig really deep into the EXIF data is the KUSO_EXIF_Viewer. It can e.g. show you the distance information!
Just google for it to find the source at www.kuso.cc.