Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:32 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:57 pm 

Guys this really makes me mad.

I import my photos into lightroom in color they look great then lightroom dulls them down as you click on it automatically.. i tried to find the default setting for this but i just cant.. can someone please help me!!

It makes editing so much more extensive :cry:

Vivtar 2800
My flickr
~Dan Nelson~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:29 pm 

no one has found a way around this problem yet... this very problem has caused me to remove lightroom and only use Capture NX2 as my editor... i just got fed up :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:58 pm 

Does it perhaps use some monitor calibration profile that you can change/reset/remove?

Or can you change the colour space it uses? Maybe that could have an effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:47 pm 

I always use lightroom and I have never noticed it. Mind I dont use anything els so i cant compare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:26 pm 

Dan, do you shoot RAW/NEF or JPG? Because in JPG you should have a chance to make LR leave your image unchanged!
With NEFs: forget about it! LR does always apply some kind of "development" to NEFs/RAWs. And that process does not take your in-camera settings into account.
As far as I've understood, the same with LR2 :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:10 am 

Thanks Thomas thats a very definitive answer.. i do shoot NEF/Raw and sadly lightroom has this horrible problem.. :cry:

Toby you havnt ever noticed it?? watch really close after you load your NEF/Raw's and you will see them 1 by 1 dull out and change.

And Thomas Richards is NX2 good at cataloging your pictures too.. the only reason i like lightroom is for it simplicity in editing curves and its ability to catalog your pictures and ease of importing .. But they just ruin my pictures :cry:

Vivtar 2800
My flickr
~Dan Nelson~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:52 am 

I just can't get into Lightroom, even version 2.0. Too confusing for me I think. I still stand by ACDSee for cataloguing and CaptureNX2/PSCS3 for editing. I think each is the very best in it's field. ACDSee is used to capture the images from my memory card and it's edit menu is configured to open any image in either CaptureNX2 or PSCS3. Works really well together.

Not so sure about the new CaptureNX either, to be honest. It's definitely quicker and probably more stable but everything seems to be hidden away and awkward to get to. In fact, if it wasn't for the fact that CNX2 does things with NEF's no other software does I'd have junked it a long time ago.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:32 am 

emp93 wrote:
And Thomas Richards is NX2 good at cataloging your pictures too.. the only reason i like lightroom is for it simplicity in editing curves and its ability to catalog your pictures and ease of importing .. But they just ruin my pictures :cry:

i'm still looking into that... i've only used it for 2 days now... you can add keywords, add/remove XMP/IPTC info, add ratings, colour tags whose labels you can rename... when you edit and save a photo, the process is non-destructive and can always go back to the image later and undo the edits... you can also edit photos with a different editor within NX2, i have PS CS2 setup ... so pretty much the same as lightroom... only thing i still need to find out is if i can move photos with the browser workspace within Capture NX2...

... even if the managing process is less intuitive in NX2 than in Lightroom (a fact i still need to find out by experience), it would be a sacrifice i'm willing to give in order to mantain image quality and to keep my sanity :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:39 am 

This is a very common problem. Here's what I'm doing:
1. Only shoot in RAW (no jpegs)
2. Transfer to disk, tag, catalogue in LR
3. Edit in CNX, generate jpgs from edited RAWs
4. Stack the NEF plus the edited jpg in LR
5. Print from CNX
It's a little hassle, but with over 10,000 images I don't want to miss the capabilities of LR in managing this.

Btw. you can define a standard "development" profile in LR that is applied to every image that LR loads. This is the easiest way if you don't switch image processing in camera too often. E.g. I always shoot b&w and I could have defined a matching profile in LR, but didn't bother to do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:29 pm 

When Lightroom imports the NEF it doesn't interpret any of the in camera settings. Adobe have produce a free download for Lightroom 2 and Camera Raw 4.5 which provides a number of camera profiles aimed at matching the standard settings for a range of cameras, including your D80. You can download it here. I've had very good results with it and now use the Standard profile as the starting point for processing most of my photos.