Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:12 pm 
Hi,
I've noticed that a few of my Adobe software only utilize 50% of my total CPU power.

I have a system with Intel Core2 DUO (E6850 @3.00 GHz) and 2GB RAM. Windows Vista 32-bit.

I can see in the Task Manager that both Processor 0 and 1 is selected in the Photoshop.exe process, but it olny utilize 50% when rendering stuff. At the moment i'm using the photomerge to create a panorama.

Any ideas?

/K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:09 am 
Why complain lol? :) Is it performing too slow or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:19 am 
What version of Photoshop are you using? It might not be optimized for multicore processors, i.e., not generating multiple threads to execute concurrently on both cores.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:41 pm 
grahamnp wrote:
Why complain lol? :) Is it performing too slow or something?

Im trying to photomerge 40-50 RAW-images to create a good panorama, so, yes, it performs quite slow and takes time. And knowing that there is 50% more CPU available make me think it can me much faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:43 pm 
csrussell wrote:
What version of Photoshop are you using? It might not be optimized for multicore processors, i.e., not generating multiple threads to execute concurrently on both cores.

CS3

I've noticed that also premiere CS3 only utilize 50% when applying (for exaple) noise reduction and when rendering stuff.

Quite annoying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:36 pm 
Wow 40-50 RAWS!?!?! I look forward to seeing your pano! :D

Have you tried any other resource intensive applications? Try and see if it's a problem with only the CS3 apps or others too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:17 pm 
I have tried that. No problems with other applications.

Does your photoshop.exe process utilize 100% CPU when using stuff like photomerge?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:44 am 
I just tried photomerge with 3 57.4mb TIFF files and the PS never used more than 50%. Combined with the other applications running in the background(iTunes, Lightroom, Firefox, Thunderbird and more) it never used more than 65%. Seems like I have the same problem too, only I never noticed it.

I'm running PS CS3 on a Mac btw. I'm not sure how differently it allocated processes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:05 pm 

It isn't a "problem". That's how it's supposed to work. As far as I know CS3 is the only iteration of PS which is optimized for multi-core CPU's.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:33 pm 
zorro wrote:
It isn't a "problem". That's how it's supposed to work. As far as I know CS3 is the only iteration of PS which is optimized for multi-core CPU's.

Zorro 8)

Im not sure i quite follow your thought here.
Is CS3 supposed to use only 50% on a multicore system?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:05 pm 
I don't understand either. PS's tasks are divided evenly between the two cores(as said by Activity Monitor) but shouldn't PS try to take advantage of every bit of processing power there is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:08 pm 
Mine works fine. Jumps above 50%. Do you have it fully patched? I'm running on Vista 64 w/ SP1. CS 3 v10.0.1. Core 2 Duo E6600

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:22 am 

I just assumed around 50% was normal. I've done some tests and the highest usage I ever see is 57%. That's with a Q6600 SLACR CPU.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:15 am 
CS2 also uses multi core as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:22 pm 
Not all tasks can be made parallelised. Try batch applying a set of filters and see if that takes 100% of your CPU power. I suspect that it would.