Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:34 pm 

After shooting some outdoor-pictures this afternoon I went back to Photomatix to find out what HDR could do for me.
See here the original
It was exposed for the sky, but the forest and the fields were much to dark.

Then I batch-processed the pic (plus the +2EV and -2EV exposures) in Photomatix with all Details Enhancer settings on standard except for Strength at only 60 and Color Saturation at 56%
One thing consistently came up: Dramatic sky. And as I love clouds, that was sure something I am interested in.
See here the HDRed pic

After a while playing with Photomatix I saw a lot of errors resulting from me not using a tripod. This was when I thought: Give the original a try in CaptureNX to lighten up the dark parts of the pic. I grabbed a color control point for the forrest adjusted and then duplicated it and did the same with the field. After 5 minutes work I arrived at something more or less resembling the HDRed pic:
See here the NX-enhanced pic

Well, what can i say? The only thing that really was not up to the HDRed version was the sun: I could never make the clouds in front/around the sun as detailed as in the HDR pic, which used the -2EV exposed pic for this area. But other than that, I don't find the difference significant enough to be a real killer argument pro HDR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:16 pm 
Thomas,

In general, there is more detail in the underexposed areas than in the overexposed areas of a digital image. If you check dpreview's review of the D80 you'll see that the dynamic range extends more into the darker than neutral area than into the brighter than neutral area.... The only issue with opening the shadows is that you can reveal noise together with the detail.

Darrin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:56 am 

Yeah, I think that the challenge would be to get the +2EV original up to the HDRed pic with CaptureNX. There I have to tone down the sky and that should be the problem, because I'll start to see the limits in the overexposed areas. But then: I could have used the pol-filter :roll:
I'll give it a try later...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:12 am 
Use the -2 ev picture, which should have the sky exposed correctly, and try to brighten the land in Capture NX....

Darrin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:05 am 
what if you combine the PM and the Capture NX images toghter? how would that end result look like? if you havent tried it