Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:55 pm 
Hello! I am getting my first DSLR for my birthday and I am kind of confused on what Imaging software I will need. Do I need a RAW conversion software and photoshop or what? Please Help! I have windows vista by the way.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:22 pm 
Adobe lightroom is good and it will do RAW images.

You dont really need any software, it all depend what your after. adobe lightroom is great for organizing and simple editing, i love it.

Adobe photoshop is the bes timage editor that will do loads to images but more difficult to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:32 pm 
A lot of DSLRs come with their own RAW conversion software with the camera, so there's not too much to worry about on that front. You should check before you purchase however.

I tend to use Photoshop, with its Camera RAW converter.

@toby, did you edit your post? I saw it saying something along the lines of "what's so great about RAW?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:16 pm 

Hello N I T A 78, and welcome to the friendlay Camera Labs forum!
You question implies that you don't have prior experience with image editing software, right?
As csrussell said, just look what comes with your new camera. In any case if you shoot jpg, you can use the images straight away, no need for any conversion at all. Many DSLRs allow you to shoot jpg+RAW, so you can store the RAW-files for later post-processing and work with the jpgs from the beginning.
Just get back here, when you have your camera and tell us all about the software you got with it.