Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:13 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:15 pm 
Hi guys,

Just got back from holiday with lots of touristy snaps and a few wedding snaps and realised that what looked great on the run could do with some touch-ups.
Now most of the pics are in jpg format - any recommendation as to the software to be used.
I don't really want to spend on Photoshop CS, which I read about here being really good unless I have to, I do have a copy of Elements somewhere and an old version of PSP also I have got GIMP and Photocommander - the later seemed OK until I wanted to remove a background shadow and it then turned near impossible to work with.
Further, my next load of shots will be to learn more about the camera and so-called post production and I intend to shoot in RAW which for the Nikon is called "NEF" I think.
So again, a piece of software that can take care of my two options - please any suggestions ??

Lastly, where can I find a "dummies" or "how to" in terms of fixing pics - like when to add gamma or brightness and play with hue and temperature for instance - or is it all just hit and miss ??

cheers,

look forward to hearing from you guys??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:45 pm 
Hi Great_Dane,

What Nikon camera are you using? You will need the latest software for it to support the newer Nikon's NEFs. I'm using Lightroom 1.4(2.0 is out) and it's very good and excels in managing photos although it has a powerful editor too. I've also got Capture NX 2 on trial and although the management isn't as good, the editing is even better especially because it natively supports some of the additional features built into the camera.

I can't think of any good tutorials because there are just so many out there. Everything I've learnt so far is either from this forum or from searching for "Photoshop xxxxxxxxx tutorial". Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:52 pm 
Cambridge In Colour has some good tips on photoshop/image editing amongst other things. Graham is right though - Google is your friend :lol:.

I found that I learnt a lot very quickly by simply taking some time to mess around with photoshop (or whatever software you have).

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:06 am 
Thanks guys - I have a D60 with the 18-55mm VR lens and 55-200mm VR lens.
I'm just still blown away at how awesome the photos look even on Auto - should have made the jump from point-and-shoot ages ago.

But so keen to explore the capabilities further and here is where the main photo editing skills comes in for instance fixing up a great photo from the point that it was taken at the right time but with some messy stuff around you want to get rid off to highlight the special stuff about the "scene".

I saw you can get a GIMP plugin that makes GIMP look and work like Photoshop - has anyone heard or tried that??

So with a new D60 - what is required in terms of software to read the NEF's??
Will GIMP do it ???

Anyways, my and my friend Google will start educating me in terms of photo editing technique.

Cheerio,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:23 pm 
GIMP supports RAW files with a plugin. http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/

You can get GIMPshop (http://www.gimpshop.com/) which kind of makes GIMP work like Photoshop but it's really not like the real thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:22 am 
Awesome - thanks

will get to work on playing with this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:38 am 
Honestly, forget GIMPshop, it's an slightly modded older version of GIMP that doesn't have the features of the GIMP 2.4 series, some of which are very nice to have. The UI just needs some getting used to.

If you'd like to convert nefs, there are a few options, but the best free ones are RawTherapee, Nikon ViewNX and UFRaw.

Use them to convert your shots to tiff or png and if you want to edit them further, just use your favourite image editor.
GIMP+UFRaw do make a good team, though.