Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Question about lightroom
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:13 pm 
After I import the files into the program and view them, until the histogram is calculated, the photos look great, and after the histogram is shown, the files turn lighter, like the program removes some contrast by itself, is this an auto-edit feature that can be disabled? You guys have the same thing in your program?
And I'm using version 1.4.1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:41 pm 
No it's not an auto-edit, more of an "auto-unedit" feature. :D I don't like it either.

Basically it strips the image of all the presets used in camera so they are ready to be developed by you. Perfect...if the camera got them all wrong, which is not the case.

To undo this, go to the develop module and set everything the way you want it. Then go to the drop-down menu at the top of the screen, select develop -> save preset. Save the preset with whatever name you want. Next time you import, go to the option which allows you to choose what preset you want to import with and choose the preset that you just created, it will save you the trouble of doing this for each shot and can be reversed later. Under the library module, your new preset will also be there amongst the default ones(aged photo, selenium tone etc.).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:22 pm 

This is one of the great faults of LR if you use NEF (don't know whether this also applies to LR2, but I fear so): It strips away all in camera-settings that are stored with the NEF! I have it esp. hard, as I shoot NEFs only in high-contrast b&w in-camera development setting all the time and LR just loads those images ok and then goes through all of them and displays them in the standard-colors/contrast :cry: :cry:

If you load JPGs, LR does not apply anything to the image until told to do so (at least in my experience).

Set the default for standard processing/developing in LR as Graham told you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:26 pm 

Thomas wrote:
This is one of the great faults of LR if you use NEF (don't know whether this also applies to LR2, but I fear so): It strips away all in camera-settings that are stored with the NEF! I have it esp. hard, as I shoot NEFs only in high-contrast b&w in-camera development setting all the time and LR just loads those images ok and then goes through all of them and displays them in the standard-colors/contrast :cry: :cry:

If you load JPGs, LR does not apply anything to the image until told to do so (at least in my experience).

Set the default for standard processing/developing in LR as Graham told you.

does this happen with CR2 as well?

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:36 pm 
I wonder if LR cannot read the part of the metadata which stores all the settings or just isn't licensed to do so. Nikon is the only company that stands to gain from blocking access because they are the only ones with a fully fledged RAW editor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:02 pm 
Well I got Capture NX 2 and its great, bye bye LR. :lol:
Thanks anyway.