Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:46 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:30 pm 

I was in Best Buy yesterday and saw they had PhotoShop Elements 6 for 30% off. I have wanted to get it for a while so I got it. I am pretty happy with Canon’s DPP, but there are a few things that it can’t do that Elements can, like the healing brush, merging heads from different group photos to get the best expressions of each person in them, and the straightening tool to name a few.

To say the least, I’m pretty disappointed that the “Getting Started Guide” that comes with the software doesn’t tell you how to ‘get started.’ Beyond simple installing instruction it is only a further marketing gimmick. If people are reading the manuals in the software, it’s a pretty good chance they have all ready bought the software and you don’t need a sales pitch in there.

So I have been all over the place including tv.adobe.com (thanks Bob for posting that), Utube and photoshopelementsuser.com to name a few. The latter has a couple of videos, but they are too small on my screen to tell what they are doing. If I go to full screen, the res is too low to tell as well. Basically these are information overload. I would rather be out taking pictures than spending hours upon hours learning the details of PhotoShop.

Basically what I am looking for is a “getting started guide” video to learn these basic fuctions to get me going. Does anyone know of a place I can go to start off?

Thanks for your help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:15 am 
I don't know about a place that could start you off, but you might want to start by asking specific questions, like:
"How do I crop an image?"
"How do I sharpen a photo?"
"How do I remove wrinkles?"
etc.

You could try googling it or asking here after you decide what you want to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:22 pm 

Thanks,

I really need help with everything, but here is a start.

How do I take different facial expressions from separate photo's and combine the best of each?
into one photo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:42 pm 

jitteringjr wrote:
Thanks,

I really need help with everything, but here is a start.

How do I take different facial expressions from separate photo's and combine the best of each?
into one photo?

Does this youtube link help answer this one?

You could also have a look at this youtube search for more tutorials.

Canon 1000D & kit lens, 55-250 & 50mm 1.8
Canon Ixus 60

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:36 pm 
jitteringjr wrote:
merging heads from different group photos to get the best expressions of each person in them

Just a small note.
My pictures are my memories. They are from things that happened, and capture a feeling I had then. Now I don't mind any +-contrast / +-brighness / nor things of the such really.

But if I have to stitch heads? Then this whole picture is no longer worth anything in my eyes.

No offense, just 0.02$.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:35 pm 

Cheezbrgr wrote:
jitteringjr wrote:
merging heads from different group photos to get the best expressions of each person in them

Just a small note.
My pictures are my memories. They are from things that happened, and capture a feeling I had then. Now I don't mind any +-contrast / +-brighness / nor things of the such really.

But if I have to stitch heads? Then this whole picture is no longer worth anything in my eyes.

No offense, just 0.02$.

If I get my toddler to look at the camera in 5% of the pictures, I'm lucky. So I need a little help from time to time. Its not like the moment didn't happen, its more a matter of not having the shutter flying at the right moment.

In the case of bringing past relatives back to life with our youngsters is another kind of odd use for this and I can see your point if I used it for that.

P.S. I bought a book on PSE-6 and learned the above question and much more now. Thanks