Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:37 pm 
Photoshop is treating my 14-bit .NEF files (Nikon) as 8-bit when I import them. So far the only way around this that I've found is to convert the .nef into 16-bit tif using ViewNX -- but this adds a lengthy step and actually makes the files twice as large as before.

Does anyone know a way around this? Do I need a special plugin for Photoshop that will read NEF appropriately?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:21 am 
When you open Raw files in ACR, there's like a hyperlink at the bottom of the screen. If you click on that you can change the option from 8 bit to 16 bit and then all future files you open will open in 16 bit.

While I'm here I would also recommend Nikon's Capture NX for processing NEFs, it does it so much better than ACR and you have a lot more options to play with.

Good luck!

Post subject: thanks!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:35 am 
Thanks much, I had seen the '8-bit' line but hadn't realized that it was an option you could change. It didn't seem like it would default to an inferior colorspace...

I'll check out Capture NX, I thought maybe it came with my D300 but it looks like I'll have to just download the trial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:02 am 
I think Nikon only gave away CNX on a promotional basis when the camera first came out. I was lucky and got mine included just before it ended otherwise I'm not so sure I would have committed myself to learning all the ins and outs of the program. Glad I did though, because my images are coming out so much better.

Actually I'm not sure why they stopped that promotion, it seems a bit mean considering they've brought out CNX 2. Giving away free copies of the old version may have sucked more people in to upgrading to the new one.